Jock O’Hazeldean

Jock O’Hazeldean

Is this also a tune, maybe a waltz, and what exactly is the story behind the song? Cheers folks

Re: Jock O’Hazeldean

According to footstomping.com, Sir Walter Scott wrote the lyrics telling the story of the man and his bride set to a 17th century tune known as "the bony brow".

We use this as a song in a small group i play with, there’s various sets of words as usual and an english version called "john of hazelgreen" . I’m not familiar with any particular history behind the song. I suppose it does have a waltz feel to it ,we play it in 4/4 time.

I read somewhere that Sir Walter Scott heard the first verse, or maybe just the first part of it, sung alone; whereupon he went off, inspired, and wrote the other verses of the song as we now have it.

I don’t know the story behind the song, but I love the song itself…I’ve always heard it in waltz time…gorgeous tune, I love it

Look out for the spoof version "Stan of Jesmod Dene" by George Welch, about a flasher in Jesmod Dene Park. Brilliant!

also a version on ‘providence III’ sung by Cyril O’Donoghue… check out www.providence-trad.com