bones at the session

bones at the session

Is this a bad thing?

Are these as bad as shaky eggs or… (gasp!) bodhrans?

Does anyone play with some really good bone-ists? I don’t see many in my neck of the woods, so I was wondering about others’ experiences with this fine old instrument.

Re: bones at the session

Like most instrumnets. It depends on who’s playing them.

We used to have a great bones player at our session, great to play with.

Really brings out the rhythm over the top of a ‘you know what’ :-)

Well, Hallowe’en is coming up ;-)

Be afraid…

Posted .

I’ve certainly been in sessions with excellent bone-ists in Durham (UK).

We have a bones/spoon player who comes to our session. Nice older guy, very tasteful in his playing, doesn’t play along with everything, and when he does it fits well.
Funny thing, our publican is very fussy about limiting the number of musicians that play at the same time, but doesn’t count this guy as a musician. But he is more musical than some others who walk through the doors with instruments……..

The keys to being a good bones player are timing and restraint.

I’ve found that people who play another instrument very well have relatively little problem picking up the bones or the spoons and sounding decent at it. It’s something for a little variety and a few giggles but it’s not a mainstay instrument and you’d be better off playing another instrument the majority of the time.

The key to being a bones is no keys - car keys to be precise, my one experience of this was not good.

…although obviously I may have had a far richer experience: the jangler in question may not have had a deep knowledge of the tunes he was accompanying and maybe he was driving his wifes car and therefore unaccustomed to the different pitching

My grandfather played spoons… I’d hate to see a tradition like that disappear because of snobbery. He was real good, too. Used to whack them off the elbow and everything.

Posted by .

I try to whip out my bones very sparingly. Too much seems to irritate the crowd. I think my rhythm is fairly good. I haven’t tried two handed bones at a session, I think that might be a little much. Just a little something so I don’t spend the WHOLE night not knowing any tunes. Thankfully, slowly, this is becoming less of a problem.

I really like the way they sound with reels.

I was taught how to put quarters between my knuckles and play percussion by a guy in a bar one night. He was able to play the bar, and bottles and ashtrays and whatnot on the bar, like they were a drum kit. He was VERY good at it, was probably a real drummer of some type. I can see, though, how in the wrong hands, that technique could be a nightmare.