Notation of tunes

Notation of tunes

Some recently added tunes have only abc to read from, no sound file or standard notation. This makes it much harder for me to hum through them, as I’ve read standard notation for a big part of my life. Does anyone else miss the old way of posting tunes? Do I have to now learn this new language? The regular music notation is graphic, and I think a natural visual bias in my brain shouldn’t give me this disadvantage.
Help!

Re: Notation of tunes

If you want the gif/graphic and sound file, just wait for Jeremy to get round to it. He usually has it done within 24 hours, but if he’s on holiday or whatever it may take him a bit longer. But ABC is very useful to learn. You can always get a program to translate it to written music if you like, check the links.

As we get bigger and have more players join us, I do hope everyone learns and remembers that our Benevolent Dictator and host Jeremy does all this for the love of the music – he doesn’t get anything but our thanks (on the rare occasion he even gets that) for everything he does here at The Session.

Thanks for the gift you give us all year round here, Jeremy!

Zina

Fiddlefingers
I think you’ll find that all the tunes posted in ABC turn up in standard notation + a sound file a little while later, perhaps minutes or hours presumably depending how busy some server somewhere is. I suspect the advantage of this is that if someone posts an ABC and then someone else spots errors in it, then something can be done about it quickly by emailing the person who posted it before the tune gets converted into standard notation which cannot thereafter be altered. The ABC file can be altered at any time by the originator of the file.

I’m with Zina on that one. Thank you Jeremy for an awesome site that has helped me find tunes, get answers to problems, and learn tons about Irish traditional music.

A thank you also out to everyone who is always willing to help us users with our newbie questions. Zina, Will, Trevor and Mark pop into my mind, but there are many others. They have just been helpful to me since they have helped me as fiddlers.

Keep it up ya’ll!

-Troy

Posted by .

If you’re in a hurry and don’t want to wait for the sheet music and sound file to appear here, copy the abc and paste it into the box in the ABC Convert-a-matic at http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html
(It’s listed in the links under ABC software, too.) Hit “submit”, and it’ll give you a gif on screen and options to hear a midi file or print a pdf of the sheet music.

Thanks, Glauber, for posting this link – I use it a lot!

Sarah

Posted by .

thanks for all your kind help and advice. I just had a moment of panic about not being able to see the music as easily.
I do read abc - sort of, but it’s just harder.

I am fairly new to this site. I’ve loved ITM for many years and have played the fiddle for about four years now. While modern technology and the pace of the world these days occassionally concern me, this site is one of the biggest exceptions. The exposure that recordings (records,tapes, CD’s) gave ITM obviously did a great deal for our beloved genre, but this website opens the floodgates. If anyone ever was concerned about the future of ITM, they can rest assured that when the archaeologists find my tunebook they will have an instant link to my/our heritage and one of the main ways it was expressed. And I suspect similar discoveries will be made the world over, thanks to this site. If Jeremy ever needs a new car or has a big vet bill, my dues will be in the mail.

I think Jeremy has done a fantastic job with this site, It has really opened up ITM to the world! Also this site is unique-if anything ever happened to it I don’t know what I’d do!

Jeremy, canonisation is too big a step; will beatification do?

It will have to be beatification, I think. There already is a Saint Jeremy. He was an Egyptian who ministered to Christians who were condemned to work the mines of Cilicia in Palestine. In 309 he was arrested and martyred at Caesarea by order of Firmilian, the governor of Palestine.

trevor

It’s funny how things evolve, isn’t it? I started off by being stymied by the slowness of abc notation, or rather my slowness at reading it, and it ending by showing me a wonderful way to give our esteemed host Jeremy less work to do. I didn’t realise he actually had to convert abc to standard notation to complete the posting process.
Anyway, it moves me to declare, that yes, it IS a great site, he does do an incredible job for no financial returns, all because he believes in what happens here.
I’d like you all to know that I do too (believe, that is). And I didn’t at all mean to criticize, just ask for help. Which I got from Trevor, who provided a link to the Concertina site where you can convert abc to standard. Thanks, Trevor!
Would it be easier on Jeremy to ditch the standard thing now and we could all use the converter available on the aforementioned Concertina site? It may be better to have the convenience of having it all here to hand, what do people think?

Everythings been working fine for quite a while now, I for one like everything on one site. If I want to convert abc’s to sheetmusic I use abc2win or another similar program.

I agree with Brad – besides, with Jeremy looking at the ABC during the final posting process, he can catch the more egregious errors. 🙂 Anyway, so long as Jeremy don’t mind, I don’t either. My motto for the day.

Zina