recording a session

recording a session

hi folks,
quick question,
i am thinking of buying a dictaphone so that i can record a session. Any suggestions as to which one to purchase, i am prepared to part with 150 sterling for a decent one.
Is this the best solution for such a task ?
do dictaphones capture that hissing sound in the background, i am hoping that wont be recorded?
thanks in advance for any info.

Re: recording a session

A lot of people here use more sohpisticated recorders than mine, but I have had excellent luck with an Olympus DM20 with a stereo mic. It has 128 mb of memory which is enough for up to 45 hours of standard recording.

It has five folders which you can name and you can download mp3’s for playback with the internal speaker or throught the included headset.

It will record up to 8 hours in stereo and you can download to your computer and add comments, tags, equalization, etc.

I hang it off an old metal music stand right in the middle of the group and it picks up everyone well.

It’s simple and rugged and I like it!

Roger

I just got one of those MicroMemo things for the iPod and it produces excellent recordings, although it can get overloaded when the session is really loud. You get 16-bit 44kHz recording and it would record many hours of audio if the batteries didn’t go flat first.

I use an Edirol R-09 for recording my tunes. You can pick these up now for £260.00 in the Uk. They will give you quality recordings that you can down-load to your PC or Mac and burn to CD. Great versatility and quality .. Highly recommended.

I also finally got the MicroMemo, and it’s surprising how good the recording quality is, even with the mono microphone. No hissing or machine noise or anything. I’ll probably pick up a stereo microphone for it at some point and see if that works even better.

I just bought an Olympus WS320M.

It’s tiny, has huge capacity (1Gb), sounds pretty darn good, even when recording in a noisy room, and has a USB plug for transferring to/from the computer.

The best feature by far, though, is that it can play back recordings at 2/3 speed without changing pitch. While there are plenty of software packages that will do this and more, it’s nice to have the ability in your pocket!

I’ve been using my iriver T30 (1GB) model to record tunes at our local sessions. It records straight to MP3 which is easy to transfer off to PC and it’s very clear considering the tiny mic it’s got!

For something simple I have recorded with a Sony Minidisc, very well, but at a small session, just stick it in the middle or hang in the middle somehow…. Listen through the earphones or plug in a headset and move it around until the sound is what you like. I don’t get hiss, but at first when it turns on you do hear a motor sound so wait a few seconds to start playing.

for something more complex, the Fostex MR8HD, a porta studio, is what I like, but you need a bunch of condenser mikes spread around. Sounds like it’s more complicated than you wish.

Roger, did I see a reference to a music stand at a session in your post? I’m going to have a lie-down right now to recover my composure.

Never fear, no dots here :~\

It doesn’t even have the paper tray. I just threaded an eye bolt through the little bent part at the top of the shaft and slip my stereo mic through that.

;~)

So much for the smilies :(

I’m fascinated by that hissing sound in the background you refer to. Maybe if the bodhran players shuts up, people will simply stop hissing

Posted .

i already have an ipod. what kind of mic(and quality) can you get for it and how much do they run?
happy halloween

all this high tech gear! I use a 70’s era cassette recorder that I bought for $1 at a flea market; works great!

try mp3 player iriver h320
20gb disc
friend from my band works for a radio as a reporter and they use it to record interviews,
unlike other mp3 players it has a variable recording bit rate
and also you it has line in so you can use microphone with it
good thing about it that there’s no problem with downloding what you have recorded to your computer
I think that at ebay you can find something with that price range

Posted by .

Funny, I’m thinking of getting a dictaphone myself. I’m just getting a cheap one from Argos at €55 but as long as it records and can put the files on the PC, that’s all I care about.

Second the iRiver T30, 1 GB; about Euro 80 here. I’ve used for this purpose and learnt a good few tunes that way off it.

Posted .