what did Kevin Burke play on Geantraí - 31st Oct 06

what did Kevin Burke play on Geantraí - 31st Oct 06

Hello all

Just saw the happy birthday programme from Geantraí, mainly shot in Dolans (Limerick) but had clips from all over the country.

Anyway I’m desperate to know what the first (out of the two) tunes was that Kevin Burke played…It was gorgeous! I recorded it on my phone but it’s not a very good quality recorder so it’s going to be a bit of a struggle to make it out!

Any hints much appreciated,

Lizzy x

Posted by .

Re: what did Kevin Burke play on Geantraí - 31st Oct 06

Yeah, they were nice tunes. Reminded me of the duets he did with Micheal O Domhnaill years ago. Sorry, I don’t have the names though.

A fiddle.

*applause*

Oh dear…!

Posted by .

Hi Lizzy,

Can you give us a clue as to what type of music it was.
I saw Kevin Burke last week here in Pennsylvania. He played a lot of different style tunes.
Don’t know if I would call reels and jigs gorgeous but he did play two O’Carolan tunes back to back. Perhaps that’s what you’re referring to. They were O’Carolan’s Concerto and Loftus Jones.
Hope it helps

Mary

The tunes he played were slip jigs I think.

If someone want to hear the tunes you can do this at http://www.TG4.ie From here you click on the link to WEBTV and from there the link cheoil cartlann (or something like that). The fist programme on the list is the one, watch it and you will hear Burkes playing

Well it was ceol - cartlann and from there Geantrai 10 mBliana….. (the first on list) Is other programmes of these series - geantrai, available on the net? "We be back in november" Breandan Begley says at the end of the programme. Where and when can watch this pogramme

Once you get to the "Geantrai 10 mBliana" the Kevin Burke segment is about 40 minutes into the program. (Use the little slider to fast forward.)

They are beautiful tunes and I’ve heard him play them, probably at a Celtic fiddle festival concert, but I don’t have names for you. I tried looking on several albums he plays on, but couldn’t locate the tunes - but I may have missed something. I can tell you that they are not the O’Carolan tunes mentioned above.

I hope now that people can listen to them that someone else can identify them.

Ahh thankyou so much TradLad, I was lookin on there the other day but didn’t see it.
Go raibh míle maith agat
Lizzyxx

Posted by .

Just to ammend my original question …

It wasn’t the first of two tunes, it was the 2nd tune out of 3!!!

I guess I just remembered it so well I must have assumed it was the first one.

So… Does anyone know the name of the 2ND tune Kevin Burke played?

Lizzyxx

Posted by .