Ryanair and fiddles

Ryanair and fiddles

Hi everyone. Has anyone flown out of England on Ryanair with a fiddle recently? Their website says the new size restrictions for hand luggage is 55cm x 40cm x 20cm which is quite a bit smaller than a fiddle case. I’m flying out of Manchester into Shannon in a month and am wondering if I’m going to get stuck with checking in my fiddle or perhaps removing it from the case and carrying it on that way.

Or are they being lenient where instruments are concerned.
Thanks in advance!

Posted by .

Re: Ryanair and fiddles

I’ve done it a few times. I don’t present the riddle at check-in. Then I carry it on as my hand l luggage. Nothing has been said to me yet.

I’ve travelled with my fiddle on Ryanair many times including this summer and had no problem taking it on as hand luggage but someone I know had a nightmare recently when they had to put their instrument in the hold and it was badly damaged. This is a good question, and I’m not taking my fiddle on a plane until I am reassured that it can stay with me and the whole thing doesn’t depend on the whim of the person at the check in desk.

You should be fine…

check it out…

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4789593.stm

"Musical instruments are allowed. However, they will have to be screened separately."

I’ve also had emails from KLM, British Airways, and BMI basically saying about the new rules, with regards to liquids, but they all say too that musicial instruments are allowed on board.

Incidently, all us MU (Musicians Union) members here in the UK were sent a special card from the MU/Goverment Deparment of British Transport, which we’ve all to put in our instrument cases when flying….it basically states the legal rights we have to carry our instruments on board, and how the Department of transport says its ok for us to do so…..
the idea is that we show it if we get hassle at check-in and then we’ll be let on. If not, they’ll get hell for it seeing as its a goverment approved document!!

That should say ‘fiddle’ not ‘riddle’. I forgot to mention that a Ryanair employee told me that they have been specifically told to make sure all violins go in the cargo hold. They only allow purchase of a seat for cellos and they will open all cello cases to ensure that there is a cello inside.

John’s solution may work well at most airports but if you’re using Heathrow this may not be the case. Some local musicians recently travelling from Dublin to China via Heathrow were forced to part with their fiddles at the Security check in on both outgoing and return journies. In fact one fiddle case was damaged and the instrument suffered a crack on the outgoing journey which may result in a substantial repair bill!

"they will open all cello cases to ensure there is a cello inside" …

Damn. Just when I was going to hide a couple of fiddles in there. And maybe other contraband to subsidise my trip 🙂

THe DfT instructs you to make sure you have your MU card AND your Certificate of Public Liability to prove you are a bona-fide pro musician.
Instruments over 56x45x25 are allowed as a SECOND item of cabin luggage and will be screened. It goes on to say "larger instruments (e.g. cellos) are also permitted into the cabin but an extra seat may have to be purchased for large instruments.

I still think this is a bit of a scam as musicians with an instrument case smaller than the limit must pack it into their single piece of hand luggage or pay for the extra.

Ryanair - cheap and nasty not cheap and cheerful.

All that I can say is ring up beforehand and be nice, give them all the info and they’ll put it on the computers for when you check in. The other thing is NEVER NEVER NEVER let them make you put it in the hold. I know at least 3 people who’ve put violins in the hold and when they got them back they were in varying states of disrepair. One was smashed up completely, in pieces.
You’re totally allowed a violin as hand luggage (like everyone else says.)
Good Luck!

I’ve wasted hours phoning in advance to check about taking my fiddle - usually getting no answer or a fairly negative response - Jobsworths just quoting regulations at me. Iberia staff couldn’t even find their way round their own website when I quoted their own policy at them!!
Now I just turn up and put the luggage through and hold on to my fiddle without saying anything. So far I haven’t had a problem - but I’m due to fly Iberia again next week!! I’m hoping that they will find having the fiddle as hand luggage easier than getting my luggage back as I won’t go without the fiddle and I won’t put it in the hold. Last time I flew Iberia there were 4 fiddles and a guitar on our flight - all as hand luggage so I’m fairly hopeful..

I’ve been through a lot of airports recently including Heathrow inward and outward , carrying a mandolin, and they looked at it said "musical instrument - OK" and let me through, in addition to my laptop in backpack.

Most of the time they don’t even say anything. I never call in advance - waste of time. In essence, nothing has changed for me since before August 2006.

Of course mandolin players are upstanding citizens whereas everyone knows fiddlers are mad loopy nutcases

Posted by .

Thank you everyone for your quick replies. It looks hopeful for the most part so I am not going to worry. I won’t bother calling in advance and I’ll say a prayer and think happy positive thoughts as I go through security!

Posted by .

I just tell them I’ll play the pipes if they’d like to hear it 🙂 I got hassled once, but pulled out the same kind of musican’s letter and they were placated. I was flying from Oakland, CA to Ontario,CA on Southwest.

Posted by .

Calton cases are good apart from they don’t come with shoulder straps, those are £25 extra!! Have to be hand stitched leather at that price!

Ryanair insist on you purchasing an extra seat for a banjo even though it can fit in most overhead bins. Aer Lingus generally don’t have a problem with it.

O, Andee, where art thou?

Will yeh never come home te ol’ Philadelphia?

O, Rob-eo—parting is such sweet sorrow! But parting is what I must do. I will be back in Philly December 3rd. Not for long though, alas….

Posted by .

But last August you said you’d be back in September…The lies, woman, the lies! I cannot abide the lies!

Be sure and look us up for some chunes when you’re back.

I’ll be at The Bards Sunday the 3rd if I’m not too jet-lagged!

Posted by .

Oh, poor, poor Andee. You’ve been away so long you don’t know what horrors you’ve missed: It’s been killed, yet again. Go to the Sessions section and then read the comments for the Bards to see the very admirable notification by our fine DK. The chunes have suffered a few hits lately in our Philadelphia, the Bards being the worst of them.

Just come back from Shannon with the fiddle. There is no problem with taking it on board as long as its your only piece of hand luggage. The security guy at bristol airport had a good shake though which loosened the shoulder rest and chipped some of the varnish……..amadan!

Posted by .

Rob—what a sad, sad state of affairs—the Bards cancelled! Well, I hope Tir naNog is back on Tuesdays…I’ll check the and see.

jenben—I guess that’s good news about taking the fiddle onboard, but why did the security guy have to shake your fiddle—and why so hard??

Posted by .