Dervish

Re: Dervish

Definitely a brilliant band & Cathie has (or maybe had?) one of the finest voices for Irish & Irish English songs I’ve ever heard. I always thought that her singing put Dervish into a different league (musically if not commercially) than, for example, Capercaillie or Altan.

Will her singing a eurovision number work?

Well I’ll go on record now by saying:-

1. I don’t think they’ll win
2. I doubt it’ll be much good

I hope I’m wrong!

But can she do Lordi’s sort of stuff?

Talking about Capercaillie, Karen Mathieson once represented France a few years back singing in Breton or something like that. I can’t really remember the song, I ’m afraid.

> I can’t really remember the song, I ’m afraid.

& this surprises you?

Besides Karen & Capercaillie have always had pretensions to the whole pop thing. I’ll wager that that French/Breton entry was awash with synth pads.

The mad thing about Dervish doing Eurovision is that they’ve always been something of a purer drop.

There’s a very, very long story behind this which I’m not at liberty to divulge, but it involves certain members of Dervish looking for a new image and a new market. Will Dervish split as a result? Watch this space.

Posted by .

I think most people will see this as some kind of joke. Cathy Jordan is a singer who has a stage voice unlike any other, (and I don’t necesarily mean that as a compliment). After last year’s disaster [ for those not familiar, we dispatched Van Morrison’s old backing singer to sing an instantly forgettable dirge, which he self penned] , not that it really matters, but we should be going for something more credible than this. I can hear Terry Wogan simpering sweetly already. Anyhow I’m not sure i’m too concerned, more bemused i’d say.

Surely it’s about time for some proper music on eurovision! Cathy’s totally class and can hold her own in any field, singing-wise. Good luck to them.

Posted by .

ignorant Yank question---what’s Eurovision? Is that like American Idol?

It’s an international European music competition, which traditionally has been full of either schmultzy ballads or “boom bang-a-bang” Euro-pop. Some countries take it very seriously indeed but the UK and Ireland don’t really. Finland won this year with a heavy metal band, so go figure.

Ireland has won more times than you could shake a stick at, which led to a very funny Father Ted episode where the Irish were trying to produce an entry that was bound to lose, thus avoiding having to pay to host for yet another year (the winner traditionally hosts the next competition).

Another tradition is the lavish half-time entertainment, which is generally used for the host country to showcase their own culture. These days, many of them are rip-offs of Riverdance, which raised the bar back in ninteen-mumble-mumble, or whatever year it was.

It’s a great fun night in when there are many drinks available and money on the line. 🙂

Its more of a European Idiot than an American Idol

This should be a laugh !

Posted by .

Great, so this year I have a country to vote!

Let’s hope the song will be ITM style. In gaelic it’d be cool.
So is anyone here a songwriter? Will anyone try? I bet many TheSessioners are fully capable.

Here are the details for The Public Competition for songs:

http://www.rte.ie/tv/eurovision2007/

kennedy - to continue on Eurovision, it wasn’t / isn’t confined to EC countries. Norway was famous for scoring “nul points” year after year - they may have been playing exquisite stuff on Hardanger fiddles, for all I know - but eventually they won it. Greece and the Greek Cypriots would give each other full marks and Turkey none, and Turkey would likewise mark down the Greeks, because of political differences; maybe things are different now. Israel’s in it, won it in fact some years ago through the flamboyant Dana International; some Israeli pop is relentlessly Eurovision - style, though of course there’s more to Israeli music than that.

Dervish and Eurovision in the same sentence just sounds so wrong.

Well,
the Irish don’t take it too seriously anymore (sort of) because of the block voting thing which favours continental countries with lots of neighbours of similar cultural views. Mind you, we tend to live in an age where cultural views are rapidly merging into meaningless commercial crap.
I reckon if Dervish have a dance team of scantily clad, good looking young buxom ladies … teamed up with a good ‘Celtic’ melody line, then we might have a chance. After all, Irist trad music has a strong identity in parts of Europe .. team that up ala Riverdance with a dash of suggestive prancing and you never know!!

Posted .

Wow…… I have never heard of anyone after they have failed at this compition. Mind you ……. 20 yrs later Johnny Logan returned with a remix of one of his songs! Hope this does not happen to Dervish.
I am sure Shane McAleer and Shamie O Dowd now wish they never left the band. Ha

Some years back there was a one-off (I think) TV show called “Song For Eurotrash”, which included reprises of some of the worst Eurovision songs and unlikely cover versions of some of the most famous. The only bits I can really remember now were Sinead O’Connor and Terry Hall performing a really silly version of “All Kinds of Everything” and Shane McGowan doing an unforgettable (much as I try) cover of “What’s Another Year”. Great stuff.

Just being discussed on Tubridy - now the guy is a prize eejit anyway, but he was quite snide (in an underhand manner) about this. Typical of the D4 mentality (apologies to any musicians from this part of town but you know what I mean) - he just fell short of saying ‘we’re being represented by a bunch of bog-trotting diddleye merchants’ .

This sounds highly suspect to a long-time Dervish fan who appreciates their earlier “pure drop” work. I will be seeing them in March. As an American I’m not too familiar with this event but I don’t like the sound of it.

Posted .

About this pure drop thing. I got a cd of theirs which was recorded in johnny fox’s, which is full of craic agus ceol ramblings by cathie, catered more at the tourist market than trad fans

The Eurovision song contest, for the enlightenment of our American friends, has featured Cliff Richard, Lulu, ABBA (it made them famous) and many many lesser known people. Winning will get you a pop record contract for a period, but it is not for “serious” musicians.

But if you’re already “serious” musicians with an established band, and *fingers crossed* you continue on in the same vein without selling yourselves out, then what’s the harm?

Posted by .

The Eurovision song contest was where Planxty in 1981 performed the interval piece called “Timedance” with the Irish National Ballet Company flitting around the stage. Later on Bill Whelan, who was by this time ex Planxty, saw the commercial possibilities and wrote “Riverdance” as the interval piece……… The rest is history. Can Dervish live up to that standard?

The only benefit I can see for them is that their fan base may grow in countries around Europe giving them a wider audience for tours and higher CD sales. A good marketing ploy! Their popularity may suffer in Ireland however, this is usually the case for people who enter the competition!! As for the first comment regarding Cathy’s singing putting Dervish into a different league to Altan? Its a lower league if you ask me. Mairead Ni Mhaoinigh is a different class to anybody else. Cathy doesnt have the Irish pronunciation for her songs and doesn’t have a great technique for slow songs in comparison to Mairead. Mairead is a master of the sean-nos singing which she picked up from her father Francie, Cathy I’m afraid hasn’t mastered this at all. She’s still a great singer however, I just feel not as good as Mairead and Altan.

Was Cathy ever aiming for “Sean-nós”? I wouldn’t put anyone in any kind of league personally. Anyway good for the Irish g’ment or RTE or whoever decided to put a trad band representing Ireland - about time too!

Posted by .

I would love to hear Dervish doing, “My Lovely Horse.”

Re: Ireland’s Eurovision entry : Dervish

Its to rub it in their noses that real music counts after the joke act that won last years one.

I was in Galicia a couple of weekends ago and caught a glimpse of a pop idol type programme - apparently the winner is the Spanish entry for Eurovision. I keep thinking that no-one takes Eurovision seriously - certainly the only reason for watching it in the UK is Terry Wogan’s commentary.

No the way to watch Eurovision is with the sound off and the subtitles on. You get all the translations of the songs which can be fairly amusing AND the poor transcribering trying to keep up with Wogan’s rambling commentry which can lead to some wonderful bloomers - Of course you can leave the sound on as well if you have to

J