John Allan Cameron: Celtic godfather dies

Re: John Allan Cameron: Celtic godfather dies

I’d never heard of him before but I’d like to hear some of his recordings.

Any recommendations?

He was a very interesting guitarist. I saw him live only once at the Winnipeg Folk Festival.
I particularily enjoyed his TV show with "The Cape Breton Symphony". He was the first great national proponent of Cabe Breton music in Canada.

This year a bunch of Canadian (mostly Cape Breton) artists got together and put out a tribute CD for him to help pay for his medical costs. It features Natalie and Buddy MacMaster, JP. Cormier, Dave MacIsaac, Ashley MacIsaac, Rita MacNeil, Glenn Graham, Rodney MacDonald, The Barra Macneils, Jimmy Rankin, Jerry Holland, the Cottars, and many more, as well as a few tracks from John Allan. The CD is called Yes! Let’s Hear it For John Allan Cameron, and it can be purchased online here: http://www.scotsmarket.com/displayProduct.asp?category=Music&pid=145
I recommend getting it, its a shame that many people haven’t heard of John Allan.

I’m sorry to hear this news. I met him at the Celtic Colors Festival in 2003 when John Allen and his wife stopped by the inn where we were staying. He was looking for some friends of theirs who checking in later that day. We didn’t know who he was and didn’t realize he was the whole focal point of the concert we had tickets for the next day at the Inverness Academy. When my wife told him we were planning to see the concert, both he and his wife said "Yesss!" in unison and made downward gestures with their fists. We thought this was really odd. It wasn’t until well after they had gone that we realized that the name of the concert was "Yesss!" Other Canadian guests at the inn explained to us that "Yesss!" is John Allan’s trademark cry. He must have thought we were hopelessly naive for not recognizing this not-so-subtle hint. It was a great concert and I’m glad we had the chance to see him. By the way, the CBC article cited above should have included that when he performed at the Grand Old Opry in 1972, he wore a kilt!