I am looking for some sad and some complex tunes for whistle…

I am looking for some sad and some complex tunes for whistle…

Hi friends
I am looking for some more complex tunes that are suitable for a whistle.
can some one more experienced give me some links to some free and more complex tunes ?

Also I am looking for some sad and very sad tunes, if you people here could give me some links to some tunes.

Thanks.

Re: I am looking for some sad and some complex tunes for whistle…

I have one that I love to use paralell to an a capella voice. I learned it from a Christian Brother freind of mine. It is called Mary of Graces.

Its origins are religious. But it is a haunting tune with words are less directly religious and cross a number of traditional Irish themes ( I am told) including protection from fears during the emigration, prayer for relief during the famine etc.

I will try to post it tomorrow. I have the original with words written in Eflat. But I have a handwritten melody line in D that I play on whistle.

For a complex one, try The Belfast Hornpipe. It sounds pretty clever and complex but it isn’t that difficult to play. But maybe you’ve got that one.

For a sad one, there’s a song called "The Quiet Lands Of Erin" whose tune fits the bill, but it won’t be in the database.

I think the saddest tune I’ve ever heard is the Loch Tay Boat Song. it is Scottish, and Silly Wizard has recorded it, but it’s not hard to come by.

Posted by .

Thank you all for reply.
thank you zippydw for uploading that music Tune.
nicholas, do you know somewhere that i can find that "The Quiet Lands Of Erin" tune?

Thanks

I believe the well-known Irish harper and singer Mary O’Hara has recorded "Quiet Lands…". A CD of hers should not be hard to find.

Why not try a search for tunes in key of E dorian and E minor. Most of these have a haunting touch. Or transpose some other tune to E if it fits - you might have to jump the odd note up when it falls below D.

Posted .

Is there an inference here that sad tunes are not complex?

Posted .

Some recorded slowed-down jigs and reels have a sad feel. I’m thinking of Matt Molloy’s treatment of The Fisherman’s Jig, The Prize Jig (I think he gives it another name), and Out In Mid Ocean, on his album "The Heather Breeze". You could use your imagination on some of the dance tunes you know, slowing them down and seeing how they work. Another dance tune Molloy slowed right down - I forget the album - was the hornpipe "The Home Ruler", which I expect is in the database. It’s a good tune, well worth looking up.

There’s a passage in "Three Men in a Boat" where J remarks that Harris’ rendition on ukelele of "Two Lovely Black Eyes" was very mournful. (He was only learning).

Sad Tunes? Eleanor Plunkett. The Wounded Hussar. Bridget Cruise. Actually, a lot of O’Carolan has a mournful feel.
Some people find "Taimse I’m mo Chodlaidh" sounds mournful - that’s up to you.

I’ve been playing "The Home Ruler" a fair bit lately. I’m not sure how I’d make it sound mournful - on the fiddle maybe (I’m terrible on fiddle) but not on a whistle.

If you want to know how to make The Home Ruler sound mournful, just listen to how Matt Molloy plays it on Chieftains 9 (Boil the Breakfast Early).
I would agree, Eleanor Plunkett and The Wounded Hussar are very sad tunes. Another one you might try is An Raibh tu ag an gCarraig. I hope I spelled that correctly. In any case, Joe Burke plays it on the whistle on "The Tailor’s Choice," Sean Potts also plays it on the whistle on Chieftains 3, and the band Deanta recorded a very nice version on "Ready for the Storm."

Posted by .

I think that what is ‘sad’ to one person might not be sad to the next, but to me Garech’s Wedding has a sad, haunting feel about it.

Ned of the Hill is very emotive - Finbar Furey’s version knocks me out. This ABC compilation has it: http://gradcenter.marlboro.edu/~mahoney/abc/abc/net4.abc
I’d love to be able to do it justice (on fiddle).
Here it is:
X: 23
T:Eamonn an Chnoic (Ned of the Hill)
M:3/4
L:1/8
Q:75
R:Air
K:F
dc|{A}B2 G3 A|B4 {d}Bc|d2 b3 a|g4 g2|f4 dc|
B4 cd|_e3 d cB|G4 dc|B2 G3 A|B3 B Bc|d2 b3 a|
g4 b2|f4 dc|B4 cd|c4 Bc|B4 Bd||g2 _e2 b2-|
bg f2 d2-|df g2 b2|bg f2 fg|f2 d2 c2|B4 (3Bcd|_e3 d cB|
G4 dc|B2 G3 A|B4 Bc|d2 b3 a|g4 ag|f4 dc|
B4 cd|c4 Bc|B4 {B}dc||{d}B2 G3 A|B3 c Bc|d2 b3 a|
{f}g4 b a/2g/2|f4 dc|B4 cd|_e3 d e/2d/2c/2B/2|G3 c dc|B2 {d}G3 A/2G/2|
B3 c dc|d2 b3 a|g4 b a/2g/2|f2 d2 c2|{A}B4 A B/2c/2|d2 B2 c2|
B4 Bd||g2 f_e b2-|bg f2 d2|c/2d/2_e/2f/2 g2 b2-|bg f2 fg|f2 d2 c2|
B3 B cd|_e3 d cB|G4 dc|B2 G3 G/2A/2|B4 Bc|d2 b3 a|
g4 (3gag|f2 d2 c2|B3 B cd|c4 Bc|B4||

For complex ones, I saw the famous flute and whistle player Cathal Mc Connell do one of his party pieces on whistle - The reel The Mason’s Apron, with lots of variations, in D, then G, then A. But that would be asking a lot of any whistle player. (I have not tried to compete there. My get-out clause is that I just don’t like the tune…)

By the way, RichardB, above, has put down the tune of "Ned Of The Hill" in the key of Bb, not F. And it is indeed a good tune.

I spent a while trying to find an ABC version that was like the Furey recording and this was the one that seemed close - I don’t claim to have transcribed it myself - it sounds great in Bb

Tunes are often sad for personal reasons, therefore hard to recommend……..

Here are some of my favorite mournful sounding tunes that I do on fiddle and concertina (should work well on whistle, too)

Hector the Hero
https://thesession.org/tunes/1292

Neil Gow’s Lament for the Death of His Second Wife
https://thesession.org/tunes/1892

From Liz Carroll (see her website for transcriptions):
The Crow in the Sun,
Lament of the FIrst Generation,
Letter to Peter Pan

Generally, anything with "lament’ in the title should fit your bill.

Thank you all for replys.
indeed the most big reason that i asked for complex whistle tune was my friend bold words.
I am new to music world and my friend play Guitar for several years.
he said the guitar can play more Octaves than whistle and there are more beautifull and complex tune for guitar

How much Octave a whistle can play or produce?
sorry if my english is not clear enough
Thanks

As far as sad melodies go (and I mean sad in a good way), I have always been partial to Ned on the Hill.

If you have, say, a whistle in D, you can play two full octaves in that key. To play the very top D, you cover the second and third notes from the top and blow hard. You can even get the next note up - E - by covering the first and second, fourth and fifth holes from the top, and again blowing hard.
(If you’re playing in the key of G, you’ll need to be able to play C Natural. If you do not already know how to do this, it is as follows:
Lower octave - Ideally, cover second, third, fifth and sixth holes from top.
If you’re playing too fast to do this, covering the second and third holes will do.
Upper octave - cover second, fifth and sixth holes if you can; second alone, if you can’t - but NOT third, or you’ll get an awful noise.)

Good luck!

As I said Monday, I had one called ‘Mary of Graces’ I have posted in the tunes section with a detailed explanation on how to present it with instrument and vocal. Words are included in the explanation.

Goes some of last week’s session discussions about what is "traditional". Meant for a whistle or wood flute and a single voice. Goals is to be hauntingly simple.

I hope I got the ABC right. But, feel free to email me and I will give you a .pdf of it.

"Amhrán Na Leabhar" / "Lament For The Lost Books"

Key signature: E Dorian
Submitted on June 28th 2002 by The Whistler.
https://thesession.org/tunes/814

You could also just enter ‘Lament’ into the search for tunes and check out what pops up… Sometimes when a thing is too complex it robs the intent… Emotion can be lost in acrobatics and flurries… And then again, just the right touch can raise the level of feeling… I have no problem at all feeling for "Lost Books"… 😉

By the way, remember that one I lent you years ago?!…that is a general plea to many…

Cape Breton has its store of tear jerkers too…

on that Mary of graces. The ABC went ok. made a couple of corrections that should be up tomorrow based on past perfromance.