2003!

2003!

Everyone,

Enjoy your Years Turning!!!!!!!

Blu 🙂

Re: 2003!

Hey Blu—it almost looks like you wrote Ears Tuning!!!

Happy New Year to you as well!

Posted by .

New Year’s Resolution

So, what’s everyone’s New Year’s resolution? (Although it’s quite the fashion to resolve not to make any more resolutions, it seems!) Mine is to play out more.

Zina

Mine is to learn more music by ear - in rehearsals, in practise (ie. tape self playing from print, then just listen and play). I’ll soon try more performing that way too.

My other one is to *expect* migraines when I eat too many chocolates!

All the best to you all for 2003!

Mine is to keep learning, to exercise patience and to always remember, It’s supposed to be fun! (You can apply that to just about anything you want to) Happy New Years to all and many thanks for the kind advice and laughs.

Posted by .

My new year resolutin is to not have sex with Anna Nicole Smith, I like to keep my expectations low. If anyone sees me scaling her beer-belly please stop me! In reality I resolve to get a coda bow & get meticulous about my bowing. On the flute side I hope to have about a hundred tunes or so, but I’m really working on a steady reedy tone more than anything else. Happy New Year everyone!

Oh. My. God. *snort* There are some people that you just don’t want to imagine naked and in bed with you, and you just hit it, Bradfordly. Heh.

WHAT a lot of fun we had tonight! Here’s to more in the New Year!

Zina

Here, Here Zina!!! 🙂

Hey Andee, maybe that should be one of my resolutions, to tune my ears!!!! 🙂

My other resolutions would be to improve my fiddling, be able to play by ear, play a bit faster, and be able to play a song with Zina, and at O’Neils! 🙂

Cheers for the New Year!,
Blu

Oh, I would like to add what Anny said to my resolutions as well…..wonderful goals, thank you Anny!……wow!, I’m going to be busy this year! 🙂

Blu

Mine is less Drink and more music. I think the first will be the most difficult to keep up. I strongly think I will have broken it by the end of tonights session.

Mine is to attend more sessions! (It’s too easy for me to be lazy and not go out and venture into the late-night, smoky bar atmosphere—but that’s where the tunes are!!) Also—to keep a positive attitude and to practice both harp and fiddle EVERY DAY—even if only for a little bit.

Posted by .

In addition to my usual musical activities in 2003 I’d like to get to some sort of grips with Irish, even if only reading, and get my childhood Welsh going again. However, my daughter, who is married to a Belgian and now lives and works in Belgium, said over Christmas dinner that they and her Belgian in-laws would like it if I learnt Dutch, which is the language spoken in their part of Belgium. Despite the fact that the whole family all speak excellent English! Could be useful I suppose. I don’t know if there are any ITM sessions in Belgium, but they certainly are in Holland which is only next door.

trevor

I resolve to learn one new tune each week. I hope to straighten out my

Happy New Year to everyone - unfortunately mine has got off to a bad start. I was supposed to be heading off for the Frankie Kennedy Memorial Festival in Gaoth Dobhair but have been struck down by a tummy bug. Ah well …..

I’ll have to start my musical new year on Friday at Maghera, have a session in the house on Saturday and round the weekend off in Speedy Mullan’s in Downpatrick as compensation!

Sl

Happy new year!

I resolve to resist the temptation to just playing through tunes all the time on the fiddle, instead play technique-improving exercises every time I pick it up for ten minutes. Hopefully the improvements will outway the tedium (a word?) of the exercises!

I want to play a little bit of something every day I can, and try to mabe do a bit of whistle at the times when my job/life prevents me from playing accordion and fiddle.

Other than that, I resolve not to drink as much next new year…

Posted by .

Oh, and I must get out and meet and play with other musicians more.
There. Its in print now, I’ll have to stick with it!

Posted by .

I resolve to learn one new tune a week and to play more sessions, and learn more about ITM in general
I guess I cant say I’ll cut down drinking becaus I’m a teenager, but I’ll also try to do at least 5 Minuits of those awful fiddle exercises!

David, aren’t fiddle exercises supposed to be funnnnn!! ha, ha, I wonder how many of the rest of us have dificulty motivating ourselves to do them!

Posted by .

Maybe to get more self-confidence. I think that’s the only way my playin’ will improve. I think, but that might be the problem. I hope to find my passion to play again, too. And, to find a session where I can hear the conversation amongst the musicians, so I can be a part of it.

May ye all find a morsel or two of joy this year, strength to fight off the sadness life sometimes brings, and may lonliness be just a word in the dictionary. That a friend may knock on your door before the sun rises…cheers!

Posted by .

And, may I be blessed with the eyesight it takes for me to see this site anymore!

Posted by .

Well, maybee those exercises are supposed to be fun, but I just ‘tend to practace by playing tunes, tunes, and more tunes!

Yeh David, that’s exactly what I do, even tho’ I know if i just stuck to it even for a month, my playing would jump.

Thats life….thats my resolution!

Posted by .

Locally, have our new group learn more tunes & play more gigs!

But more globally, using my new & ever growing tunestock to travel to different sessions… January in Phoenix (this Sunday), & February Philadephia (watch out Andee! I’ll email you with my flight info when I have it), & to get comfortable playing with other musicians in public. March I’ll be in Kentucky, wonder if there are any sessions out there besides bluegrass….

Oh & there’s this other little thing called ‘ornamentation…’

Oh & whereas most of you are pledging to drink *less* in the new year, since I live where alcohol is verboten, I pledge to drink *more*…. 🙂

I’m wondering, where’s alcohol verboten?, it’s not in germany that’s for sure, well anyway, I guess i can agree I’d like to drink more some of the time too, and the US isn’t a bad place to do it!

Posted by .

Kenn, on the Navajo Indian reservation, no alcohol or gambling here. Walk in Beauty!

Also, macsheonin, when I lived in Leuven, Belgium (in Flanders), my 2 fave bars were the Peylkoker & Tir Na Nog, both great Irish pubs, although this was some time ago. If you can speak/read Welsh, Flemish will be a breeeeeeze. 🙂

I resolve to make three very good chanter reeds, buy (or at least order) some regulators, and learn at least 50 tunes! Oh, and I think I’ll get in shape, lose weight, get a job, etc. 🙂

-Dirk

Posted by .

Emily, my daughter and her husband live in Leuven. After working there for a year (she’s a hospital nurse) her Flemish is now fluent and she has to make an effort to get back to thinking in English. She also goes to evening classes in Dutch at Leuven University. I’ll tell her what you said about Flemish and Welsh!

trevor

Blian nua faoi mhaise daoibh!

Happy New Year! Hope everyone had a great time and still has at least a partially functional liver. Just got back from Gaoth Dobhair - Brendan, you missed a good one. S

New years resolution - I suddenly had the urge to buy a concertina - so now I have to save like mad and hopefully not do what I did when I bought a wooden flute, which was spend loads of money on it - never practice and then…..I gave it away!! But Im getting a bit bored playing the fiddle and nothing else and the concertina is such a nice sound - should probably cut back on the drink tho…hmmm so much to do and only a year to do it.

Posted by .

bb, The whistle might be an inexpensive second instrument, I’m trying that as my instrument second to fiddle!…even though I reeeaaaallly need to concentrate on fiddle. 🙂

Blu

Already tried that - didnt like it - I’m not a big whistle fan and anyhow I dont think wind instruments are for me - I havent tried reed. Anyhow - the concertina is such a beautiful instrument and I hate tuning. I went to a folk festival over new years and it was really, really burning hot (out it the bush) and my fiddle held up but when I took it out for a play last night all the pegs had slipped and it took me ages to get them back in etc - sigh…concertina good

Posted by .

Yeah, I understand, today I was playing my fiddle and the chin rest just, kinda, fell off, just *pop* and off it fell, and then when I was tuning it all my pegs went loose and slid….it was a great day! (*sarcasticly*) 🙂…….I’m gald you found a second interest!!!!!!!….good luck with the concertina!….We’ll all be your cheer-leaders!!!!! 🙂

Blu

mac! Ask her if there are any good sessions in Leuven! I’d love to revisit, except I heard they put a McDonalds in the Old Market, the ba*****ds!

Emily, will do. We’ll be in Leuven for a weekend at the end of February so I’ll see if I can check anything out personally. I remember seeing the Tir na Nog pub when we were In Leuven for the wedding last April, but it was closed at the time. Anyway, there was too much going on family-wise for me to have gone in.

trevor

The one that got away…

Ever notice how many Irish pubs people tend to catch sight of but then don’t have time to visit? I often wonder what I’m missing out on session-wise when I’m whipping through a town and see an Irish pub I can’t visit.

bb, I think the concertina would be lovely, although I’m rather attracted to box — can’t afford one of those for the next twenty years (possibly the rest of my allotted life span), though. But I’ve heard complaints from concertina players about weather affecting things on their instruments too. Possibly the bush and the accompanying weather was not meant for musical instruments other than didges and the like. 🙂

Zina

I wish you all a very happy New Year!!!
I’m sooo late with reading the threads!….. I guess one of my resolutions this year must be to spend more time here, reading all these discussions!!! (But is it a good resolution??!!!).
Anyway, all the best with music and everything for you all!!!
(Hey Zina! New Year + irish music always make me think at that one in the little cottage in Ireland! Great souvenirs!!!! I hope you’re doing well!).