Buzzing

Buzzing

Because I just started fiddle, I don’t know the reason for my A and E strings buzzing while I play them!…they just suddenly started buzzing a couple days ago, for no reason, eek!…how can I make stop buzzing!…..think I’ve used the word "buzzing" enough?.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Oblivious Blu

Re: Buzzing

Blu, just a few weeks ago we had a fairly exhaustive (but never exhausting ๐Ÿ™‚ discussion about all the different causes for buzzing sounds on a fiddle. Click on this link and see if our ideas help you find the culprit. If not, post here again and we’ll play Sherlock Holmes again.
https://thesession.org/discussions/1121

Posted .

But the person who posted the problem said "it’s not a buzzing sound"….help me Will, you gotta help!…it’s just slightly annoying having to play with the buzzing!!!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚, ugh!, what is with me and the word "buzzing"!!!!!…open thought there, sorry!

Maybe you need to cut down on the caffeine….?

๐Ÿ™‚ Sorry. Okay, so we’re dealing with buzzing here, definitely buzzing, and not fizzling or swishing or galumphing, just buzzing, right?

Well, all the stuff we talked about in that previous thread also causes buzzing, so go through the whole checklist in there. I’d start with the usual suspects:
1. Loose nut on the fine tuners.
2. Fine tuner(s) touching the top of the fiddle (beneath the tailpiece).
3. That little plastic doo-dad on the A and E strings that’s supposed to keep them from cutting into the bridge, but no one ever uses—if you left it on the string, sometimes it wiggles loose and buzzes.
4. A long earing, sweater button, lapel pin, neck zipper, tongue post, etc….something on you or your clothing that touches the fiddle when you play.
5. Loose chin rest.
6. Fiddle’s drying out and something structural has come a bit loose.

Again, this list is basically a start on what we covered before. Look at every possible piece. And if you still can’t find it, tell us more about this buzzing—describe the sound, the pitch, where it seems to come from, constant or irregular, etc.

Posted .

And don’t forget keeping the bow hair too loose and the bow wood is scraping along the string. *grin* That’s sort of a buzzing noise.

Will, *I’ve* used the little plastic doo-dad. *grin* It’s supposed to cut down on wolf tones, isn’t it? Well, sometimes I manage to remember to take it off, but usually I just forget and it’s easier to put it under the string on the bridge than to unwind the string again. Heh. Lazy of me, I know.

zls

P.s.

What the hell would your tongue post be doing touching the fiddle when you’re playing? heeheehee… what a great mental picture that is…

… hehe gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "adding a lick" to a tune!

As far as buzzing goes, mine used to do that before I checked my fine tuners. It was just a hair too close to the top of the fiddle and vibrated terribly on the e-string.

Good Luck!

KP

Posted by .

Stop sitting in front of or under a fan or exhaust vent ๐Ÿ™‚
Probably not your problem but the strings will vibrate incorrectly in such a case.

Hope it’s an easy problem to find.

Mark

I figured out that my fizzling fiddle was bow noise. I think it had to do with too much rosin. I only rosin my bow every 3rd or 4rth time I play now (I usually get it out for about an hour at a time) and the noise has mostly gone away, or at least it doesn’t bother me anymore.

I also got some of the Millant-Deroux rosin that World-O-Wisdom-Will recommended for dry climates and I think it makes a difference although I haven’t tried it long enough to tell for sure. I was using "Paganini" rosin before which sells for about $1.50-2.50 US per cake, which may give a clue as to it’s quality.

Blu, in the thread that Will posted above there are numerous different suggestions as to what may be causing any kind of extraneous noise coming out of a fiddle.

-Troy

Posted by .

Of course, the determining factors in isolating a tongue post buzz are the heft of the post, the reach of the tongue, and a certain Michael Jordan approach to playing (which gives new meaning to the phrase Air Jordan)…. Either that, or you’re entirely too fond of your instrument ๐Ÿ˜‰

Troy, good to know that you finally resolved your problem. I too find that as I get older and go hard of hearing, many of my fiddling faults are far less noticeable… *grin*

But seriously, too much rosin on the strings and bow hair does create a scratchy or fizzly sound. I’m gonna try a new bow hair cleaning method in the next week or so…I’ll be sure to report on the results when they’re in.

Posted .

Does your bow hair cleaning method have anything to do with your tongue or Michael Jordan, Will? *grin* Enquiring minds want to know.

Zina

Note to thelf: rothin tatheths worthe than it lookth.

Posted .

Maybe Blu is trying out her Jimmy Hendrix-style playing (with the teeth!!)

Posted by .

LOL — okay, I totally needed this laugh today…

zls

Me, too Zina—just found out someone stole our MAC card and is traipsing around Europe taking money out of our account—keep the laughs coming ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted by .

Oh NO, Andee! That’s awful! I hope your bank deals with this for you, that’s terrible. Good luck, and keep your chin up!

Zina

Hey everyone!,
I think it was a number of reasons, oh and, hey, I fixed it, I think….it was the E string mostly and the rubber do-dad was loose, the wood from the bow kept hitting the string and I needed to clean my strings off!!!…..wow, the teen actually fixed something on her own fiddle, amazing!, thanks all!

Every single one of you helped the wee one!, and made her laugh, look twice and actually think (is something burning?)…..

Andee, I think my braces (GAG!) would hook on the strings I’m afraid, but hey, it’s worth trying ๐Ÿ™‚….sorry about the card prob, hope it resolves!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all, unless I find out later tonight that I didn’t fix it….always happens that way…..hmmm… ๐Ÿ™‚

Blu

Take a glass jar, three-quarters fill it with water, smear jam around the rim, then rest your fiddle belly-down on top of it for a day or so.

David, I hope the jam won’t attract insects! A few weeks ago a drowsy bee got into my fiddle when I wasn’t looking and caused an interesting buzzing noise when I next played, until I discovered the trespasser and evicted it.

trevor