James Kelly Instruction

James Kelly Instruction

Has anyone tried taking long distance lessons with James Kelly? According to his website, under "Learn Music From James Kelly", you can exchange your music (via mp3, cd, etc.) for a review. This seems very enticing and I was wondering if anyone tried it yet and if so, how well did it work. I know its not quite the same as one-on-one instruction but… its James Kelly!

Posted by .

Re: James Kelly Instruction

I was recently in touch with James about this, and he can either critique an mp3 that you record and email to him, or better you can video yourself playing and he’ll do the same with that. James was saying that with the video he has more to work on.

I attended a memorable class about 5 years ago in Miltown, where James and Tommy Peoples did a double act for the whole week - fantastic. So I was tempted, but unfortunately it looks like I’m having to give up the fiddle due to persistent shoulder problems (taking up the flute instead though - every cloud has a silver lining!).

Posted by .

You will not get a better set of eyes and ears than James. I highly encourage you to at least send him some videos of you playing away on a variety of tunes. He’s really terrific for analyzing how things like posture, grip, mechanics, etc. all impact your tone. He has spent a lifetime of watching and analyzing other players and experimenting with it in his own playing. If anybody can show you the way forward (regardless of where you want to go) it would be this man.

That said I can’t tell you strongly enough to go spend live one-on-one time with him. The greatest service he provided me had more to do with sharing his attitudes toward the music and philosophy of life-long study. It has profoundly changed all aspects of my life. Anyone else who has done time with James will tell you the same thing.

Feel free to send me a message if you’d like to know more about this.

I got to study with James in person a couple of times, for about a week each time. He is VERY good at spotting problems and offering suggestions on how to overcome them. Even if you are an experienced player, you could probably learn a lot from James, even with a single lesson.

Posted by .

Does he just do fiddle or could i send a banjo clip?

I bet a Skype session would be useful for this sort of thing. Where does James Kelly live? Does he ever make it to the states?

According to his website, he lives in Miami Springs, Florida.

Posted by .

I just got an e-mail from James and he does live in Miami. He’s busy with both his school and a new job, but he loves to teach and is one of the best. My bowing improved leaps and bounds after taking a week at Willie Clancy with him…which, if you can swing it, is the place to go to get lessons from him. It may be a group thing, but it’s 3 hours every day for 6 days and you gain invaluable instruction. He will work with you individually there…long enough to diagnose and instruct.

Plus, you’re in Ireland! Doesn’t get any better than that!