Sharp or flat?

Sharp or flat?

When you’re having a bad day and your intonation on the fiddle is a little off are you usually sharp or flat and is there a particular note you have trouble with?

I’m usually flat on G played on the E string.
At least I’m consistant!

Mary

Re: Sharp or flat?

I tend to sharp - and for some reason everything on the e-string I struggle with compared to the others.

On a bad day, neither. I tell SO I’m practicing microtonal techniques.

If I knew I was sharp or flat I might not be sharp or flat- any note!

Fsharp and Gsharp on the E string - I’ve been trying to play Jenny’s Chickens without giving myself neuralgia!

Well, there are certain days where the fourth finger is definitely shorter than on other days.
Consequently, the high B on the E string tends to be a bit flat. But then I try to convince myself that I’m playing Clare style. 🙂

Posted by .

My E is always the first to go, and I think it’s because of the way the bridge is rotated so that the E is slightly lower (and thus shorter) than every other string. Usually (OK, sometimes) I can unconsciously correct any variations in the fingerings, but I can’t always. Pretty much every time I’m out of tune it’s sharp (unless I’m playing flats, in which case it can be either). Of course, it doesn’t help that I’ve been using a dud E for the last few weeks because I’m too lazy to replace it…

I’ll put it this way, Ive taken to carrying a puncture repair kit in my fiddle case.
Its the A string that gets me, on a bad day that high D is as flat as watery sh*te 😛

tunning is either 440 or 442 as far as know .perhaps i wonder is everone else out of tune? flutes and fiddles are able for older natural scales.listen to old recordings. of course these players tuned their fiddles and knew the sound they where suposed to get.modern temperence and classical notation i believe is in conflict with trad.

I only play out of tune if I haven’t practised for a while, so it’s a good incentive. On a bad day I just tend to mess up generally, in which case I just say it’s Rustic Charm 🙂