Morelli mandolin?

Morelli mandolin?

Has anyone heard of a Morelli brand mandolin? Is it worthwhile as a starter instrument?

I’m thinking of a mandolin for Irish music.

Thanks.

Re: Morelli mandolin?

As in Captain Morelli?

The book’s a lot better than the film.

I’ve never heard about such maker
how much do you want to spend on it?
if you want to start with a decent mandolin try eastman mandolins - good sound, in tune, pretty nice action
in last few weeks I had a chance to see and play on few of them - a4, f5
if you want to spend a little less Waltons have McBride mandolins - they are ok
but if you want to spend more
you can buy an old Gibson mandolin
or look for Lebeda - maker from Czech Rep. - a little smaller body, but they have realy good sound

Posted by .

A Gibson, to learn on? I would need to be playing Mandolin with the Beatles to buy a Gibson.

well, once I’ve heard that playing lousy instrument will give you bad habbits
not every Gibson mandolin is a briliant instrument - in fact I’d never bought a new one - they need a luthiers work

Posted by .

Bliss is that your new nick-name then - ‘Captain Morelli’? …….. I’ll have a 99 then, with a Flake! 🙂

No need to spend loads of money on a beginners mandolin. Some of the one’s costing less than £100 sound OK and are quite easy to play. I started on a mandolin costing £27 off ebay and Iv’e still play it after 4 years.
Go to a music shop and try a few out . . don’t buy one one with a thin neck . .
Some Gibsons are great . not all of them . . but people buy them just for an investment. I know someone who’s got a dozen vintage gibsons hanging on a wall . . What a bloody waste . . he’s already a millionaire by the way . .

Putting a flake into the poke always turns out to be a bit of a performance with me.