The Blind Man’s Set (Reels)

The Blind Man’s Set (Reels)

A dear friend of mine, who plays the fiddle with a lovely, Leitrim style, heard this particular set on the radio and has asked me to find the tunes in it so that he can learn them.
All I know is that it was played by Siobhan Peoples and I’ve assumed that it refers to a set of reels that includes ‘The Blind Man’s Reel’ (which, fortunately, I already have).
I’ve searched the web for any reference to it but I drew a blank. Can anyone please help us?

Re: The Blind Man’s Set (Reels)

What radio program was it? Bet they have a playlist or at the least a contact who could tell you what it is…

Zina

That is a great set - I have the album, can remember the tune names tho - love the last one.

Posted by .

Which album’s this bb ?

The only one I can think of is the recently released "Time on Our Hands" where Siobhan teams up with box player Murty Ryan - write ups look good on this, I think I’ll add to my collection.

Thats right - I just got the siobhan/murty cd and its gorgeous.

Posted by .

I picked up the CD at the launch in Ennis this year and it’s well worth a listen. According to the liner notes, the first tune is called R

bb or Con

I’ll do number 2….

Anyone else with the album willing to do the third?

Number 2 posted! Zina, I could email you the third when I get it transcribed and you could post it.

Con

Sure, fine with me, Con

Check your inbox, it’s there.

Con

I can play the third but cant read music sorry! Learn the third cause its one of the bestest tunes ever🙂

Posted by .

Here’s the third one, then, courtesy of Con

You know, I am SO glad that I became a member of this session. What a brilliant response!

My friend is a true Irish gent and if computers didn’t baffle his bonce (bless ‘im) he’d be in here like a flash thanking you from the bottom of his heart so I’ll thank you for us both. He’s going to be so pleased when I hand him the print-outs at this evening’s session. I’ve not heard Siobhan People’s C.D. but, judging by the comments, I think I should add it to my collection.

Just one last thing, was I correct in assuming that the first reel of the set is "The Blind Man’s Reel" as found on the abc tunefinder site (http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/findtune.html),source:Dawson Girdwood? I have the .gif file if you want it.

I noted this morning that the ever-efficient Con

The Third Tune according to The Bumble Bees is Called ‘Jimmys return’ and they learnt it off Paino Accordianst Seamus Meehan 🙂

Posted by .

I’ve been trying to sort out this set. The Ril De L’Aveugle and the Blind Man from Tunefinder are the same tune in different keys, the Gan Ainm’s posted by Conan and Zina are the same tune. I tend to suffer from ADD so I may have missed something, is there another Gan Ainm floating around that goes with this set?

Posted by .

Hi AOG! Good to see you round again — the first tune in the set is Ril De L’Aveugle — I don’t have the album, but I’m assuming that since Con

I just e-mailed Jeremy about this — there must be some kind of computer glitch, because the notation for all of the last three gan aimns posted are identical.

heeheehee…that is so funny, there I am self-righteously rabbiting on at Will and all in one of the other threads that I use the dots so much and I never even looked at the gifs for AOG, just checked the abc’s! *snicker*

Sorry AOG, thanks for pointing that out, Cuch!

Zina

the third tune strongly resembles the forefar hunt… because it IS the forefar hunt! crankin set this one too!

I’ve just identified the 2nd reel, after an enquiry from "Dr.Dow". I’ve promised to send him an MP3 of the original version tomorrow. I’ll let you know after that. Must dash.

Posted by .

The second reel was composed by Scottish songwriter and sometimes fiddler [ not often enough, in my opinion ], Dougie MacLean. It’s on his "Fiddle" recording, released in 1984, when he composed all of the tunes, and plays nearly all the instruments himself. The name of the reel is "When Are You Coming Over ?". Dougie wrote it within the piping scale, but Peoples and Ryan have changed it slightly by throwing in some G-sharps.
Only 9 years after the original request, but you should have put me on it sooner 🙂

Posted by .

Wow, impressed! Nobody else I’ve ever asked has had a clue about anything to do with the tune. I even asked Siobhan on the off chance that she’d found a name for it since her recording of the tune but she didn’t know either. Cheers for that, Kenny.

Not that surprising - you can only ever identify a tune you’ve heard before, and I doubt if many people here will have heard Dougie’s "Fiddle" album. You can still get it from his own website - in CD form. I still have the original LP - some great tunes on it, which the Scottish traditional music community seems to have bypassed for some reason - possibly because it was recorded some 28 years ago. I can’t help but wonder where Siobhan Peoples and Murty Ryan picked it up from.

Posted by .

Nice!