Moving Hearts are back! Yipeeeeeee!

Moving Hearts are back! Yipeeeeeee!

Moving Hearts are playing two gigs in Vicar Street early February. Two guitars, (one electric!), an electric bouzouki, two percussionists, keyboard, saxophone, bass, and one piper. Now does a band lineup get any sweeter than that? I can’t wait. Note no fiddles, flutes, or boxes. ;-0

Re: Moving Hearts are back! Yipeeeeeee!

Yes and Maartin Hayes and Denis Cahill are doing Vicar Street on may 12 with Bill Frisell, think of the potential there!

Posted .

Good news.It ties in with an interesting discussion with some Flemish trad. musicians last week.The put forward the point of view that the ITM tradition was moribund and full of life simultaneously,in that the basic line up of an Irish trad. band hasn’t changed since the Bothies.They said that their was no evolution in the music,and where were the Irish equivalents of,say, Swedish bands like Hoven Droven,Den Fule,Filarfoket and Hedingarna,mixing their traditional music with jazz,rock and a host of other influences to produce a heady brew,and I thought,they’re right,the only Irish bands who ever tried this were Horslips and Moving Hearts,or are there a plethora of unknown bands in the Emerald Isle getting up to this sort of thing? They were also of the opinion that the reason that most ITM musos only play "pure" Irish music was because "They can’t play anything else" which I thought was a bit of a calumny.What do you think? I hope The Hearts come to Europe,I still play "The Storm" album,and I mean the album,it sounds awful on cd.

Strange point your friends make: "ITM musos ….. can’t play anything else". Even if that were true it’s not necessarily a terrible thing; why direct criticism at Irish musicians and not pure Jazz Classical or Rock musicians? Many trad musos I know are quite versatile anyway; it’s very hard to be completely oblivious to other types of music.

I thought it was an odd thing to say too.

Aside from the fact that trying to asses the life of the Irish Tradition from the line up of touring bands isn’t going to bring you anywhere.

Posted .

Dafydd, Yes in fact there have been hundreds of bands in ireland down the years who mixed Rock with trad in various combinations. Funny thing is we seem to have moved on from there now to a point where it’s not really fashionable at the moment. Ah well………..

Backer is right. It’s not at all uncommon. The ones I’ve heard have been quite fun, but I’m left with the feeling - what’s the point? Maybe that’s why they generally remain small time. I *love* electric blues - I don’t want it watered down with diddly-dee: the guts go out of it. The same goes the other way around for ITM, or course. The "fusion" has been well tried, but it has not turned out to be a very useful direction for ITM to go.

Posted by .

I love listening to jazz-fusion Trad as much as I enjoy strictly traditional Trad. But I’ve always loved certain types of jazz anyway…..I’m probably in the minority here.

I find that most, not all, of the time you end up with neither one thing or the other. Good trad players playing ho hum jazz or visa-versa. Very few people seem to study in depth the music they are attempting to fuse, and it can end up sounding like bland, saccerine elevator music. There are however some people who succeed and what they produce is fascinating.
The Storm would have to be one of my favourite albums. I must pull it out and have a listen. It’s been ages.

Back to Moving Hearts. Who’s in the band? Will there be any of the origanall line up? Christy Moore has been doing guite a bit of music with Declan Sinnott, and Donal Lunny lately. How exiting would that be?

Posted by .