Please help name this tune! Please!

Please help name this tune! Please!

A friend playing two lovely reels, the second being Diarmuid Moynihan’s ‘Two Days to Go’. A friend tells me that ‘2 days’ was written two days before Diarmuid’s finals at the end of the traditional music course he attended in Limerick. A wee bit of tune trivia for ye, if there is any truth to it!

But what is the name of the first tune? We have always known it as Meadhbh’s reel, as my friend learnt it from a girl called Meadhbh. I’m sure the .Orgers can help me here! Thanks in advance!

http://www.esnips.com/doc/a7d0f8e5-95a5-4d5d-8b0c-3053e2c130bd/-Reel-and-Two-Days-to-Go

Re: Please help name this tune! Please!

Tried to have a look, but your link just throws up a blank page.

I cant bring this up. If you go to esnips site how could I do a search for them?

Posted by .

The link is working now!

Thanks guys, that could have been a long wait!

thats just lovely! Sorry I cant tell you the name - I dont know the name of any tunes ever anyway. Very funky cool tunes though!

Posted by .

Oh - she was just about to go into a third tune - and it sounded really cool - do you know what tune that was?

Posted by .

3rd tune that almost happens… the name is floating about there somewhere in my head… it is a well known tune alright, but I just can’t remember. I am very bad with names!

Wondering what give it away that this was a girl playing? Can you tell from the playing alone or are you basing this on the female voice at the end?

Voice at the end - sounded like someone started a tune and then said that she couldnt go on…am I right? Can you find out the name of the last one? Or if there is an album I can find it on? Lovely fiddle playing by the way.

Posted by .

Do not be beguiled by the seemingly feminie voice at the end. If Proinsias Rua is who I think he is, he was a very high pirthed and feminine voice. I would say that it is he who talks as the end.

The third tune is another that she picked up from Meadhbh and has no proper name for it. Jumping Meadhbh’s reel is what she usually calls this one! Fingers crossed that someone will come along and give us names for both!

Lets try that in English: Do not be beguiled by the seeminlgy feminine voice at the end. If Proinsias Rua is who I think he is, he has a very high pitched and feminine voice. It would say that it is he who talks at the end.

Now the esnips website wants me to "register" for membership so I can download a wav file.

Is there a direct link to the file? I’m not registering with a new site just to see if I know the name of a tune. I get enough spam already.

I’m not sure what the problem might be there wurzel. Thanks for trying all the same!

It streams, (ie. view/listen without downloading) and I can view it fine without being signed in, thats why I chose to post it there, anyone can listen and I can remove it once this discussion is over.

I didnt need to register to hear or download it - I thought I’d download it to learn the tunes - I hope your friend doesnt mind……
Cenn - Proinsiasrua just admitted it was a she……..

Posted by .

Perhaps it’s due to my using a mac rather than a pc. Wav files aren’t native to macs, as far as I know.

Perhaps an mp3 of the track would work - apart from being more compatible across platforms, they take up a lot less space and download quicker too.

I have a Mac.

Posted by .

What browser do you use, bb?
I’ve tried using both Safari and Firefox, and get no audio from the link.

Safari….if worst comes to worse press download and then it’ll come up with a microsoft page that’ll let you download an application for a mac for free. Its the microsoft website so I dont think there is much of a risk of viruses or anything.

Posted by .

This Cenn guy thinks he is a big fella? Well, how do we get revenge for such comments?

Perhaps Cenn would like it if I posted some clips of his playing? Let me see,…remember that one you recorded on the multitrack one night in Belfast?

Please do!

Posted by .

Managed to grab it eventually by looking through the source code of the page and doing a bit of URL hacking. I think the problem is a javascript issue at my end.

Don’t recognise the tune - it’s sounds like a good one, though!

Thanks guys,

Great tune, we played it together everywhere we went last summer (lot of sessions, festivals etc) can’t remember many joining in on that first tune. Perhaps my memory is just poor and it is more common than I think.

Perhaps Monday morning will bring bored office workers to the sesh and we might get the names then. Thanks Wurzel and bb, enjoy the new tunes!

My best guess, although I don’t read music I can transcribe a bit of ABC and use the search on this site- is "The Rambling Cat".

The tune on this site is in a different key, and the sound clip has a _lot_ of ‘swing’ in it, but have a look and see what you reckon.

https://thesession.org/tunes/2752

That kept me occupied for a while…. 😉

Ive heard the first two tunes heaps because my friends in ireland love really obscure and crazy tunes, Moyihan, McGolderick that kind of thing.

Posted by .

Its not that tune Wurzel - in fact I have a sneaky suspision that its either a mcgolderick or lunasa tune???? Ive heard it before anyways.

Posted by .

After a "mucking about with garageband session" I’ve come to the same conclusion - it’s not the Rambling Cat!

Ah, well, it was a good try, anyhoo.

‘Gnite all

No, not the rambling cat!

I’m quite sure bb that it is not on any recordings by Mike Mc G or Lúnasa, being a fan of both. Don’t think I’ve ever herd this on any album.

Thanks again and Goodnight. Well it’s good morning to you bb, I think!

I have it on a recording - problem is that its on my ipod with the 5000 other tracks so I’d have a hard time tracking it down because we dont know the name and I cant think what album it could possibly be on. Yup its morning - 11am in fact….night night

Posted by .

Aghh! I’ve heard it - I know it from somewhere - either on House Party by Maire O’Keefe or a Liz Carroll album, maybe A Friend in Need.
This probably doesn’t help.

The tune is "Johnny Harling’s", composed by Liz Carroll, from her album "A Friend Indeed", Track 5.

Unfortunately, if you look up "Johnny Harling’s" here, you get "Dusty Windowsills". Maybe I’ll sit down later and transribe the Liz Carrol setting. Meanwhile, here’s a transcription of the setting on your esnips recording. Enjoy!

X:1
T:Johnny Harling’s
C:Liz Carroll
R:Reel
S:enips from proinsiasrua
D:Liz Carroll: A Friend Indeed [05] - Johnny Harlings, Marty Fahey’s
M:C|
K:D
A|~F3A dFAd|efaf edcd|~B3B Bcde|dBAF EDB,D|
FA~A2 AFEF|DB,DG Bdgb|afed ~B2Aa|afeg fed:|
e|fB~B2 Bfbf|aA~A2 dBcA|fB~B2 FB~B2|Aaec ~B3c|
dFAd efaz|DB,DG Bdgb|afed ~B3Aa|afeg fed:|

Thanks Guru that was beginning to bother me as I knew the tune was familiar. I have a recording of visiting fiddler playing that and had previously tracked down the name of the tune for him as he couldn’t remember the name.

The Liz Carroll setting of the tune is now up in the Tunes database.

proinsiasrua: What is the source of your esnips recording, and do you know who the fiddler is? I can add the transcription and info of your recording to the tunes listing.

Thanks everybody for all of this. Great to have a name and dots on the page for that tune.

Guru, the fiddler is a friend, from Athenry, Galway. Won’t give up names here without permission but one or two of ye here will know who it is! Recording was made by myself in Aug 2006 at my place. We were going to the Mull of Kinntyre Music Fest and the recording is just us preparing a few sets for when we got there.

Just put up a photo of us playng tunes at the festival, it may even be the same set!
http://www.esnips.com/doc/e6190c70-8b6b-4128-8694-da0cb19a924b/mok01

Will leave the recording for another 12 hours or so then it’s gone. Enjoy! (I have a feeling many of ye can download this as it stands)

Thanks again!

Nice photo, Frank, and your lovely friend, too. You really are "rua" 🙂