Tune categories

Tune categories

How do members feel about asking our benevolent dictator to expand the number of tune categories? Possible additions could be:
Airs, Mazurkas, Marches, Schottiches, Set Dances and Miscellaneous for those moravian nose flute and didgereedoo transcriptions. Any other suggestions?
The reason I bring this up is that there have been a number of postings recently that have fallen foul of the lack of category in which to place them.

Re: Tune categories

It makes sense to me.

Posted by .

And what time signature, pray tell, do you propose for the category "air"?

For that matter, are marches 6/8 or 2/4? I’ve heard both.

Please search for the words "slow air" here in the discussions section for the reasons behind the lack of those two categories (and, no, I’m not willing to repeat them again here, ad nauseum).

As for mazurkas, we’ll see. But the general rule is that if it can already be submitted under an existing category, just go ahead and submit it.

Re: Tune categories—slow air

Ok…there’re some time signature techies disputing a category for slow airs since slow airs technically fall under so many different types of tunes. Are we bean-counters or musicians? How about just providing a place to list slow airs??? If you’re in the mood to play slow airs, who wants to pick through all the jigs, reels, etc. categories to find the individual ones? I’d LOVE it if someone would just give me a big list of slow airs to get lost in to my heart’s content when I’m in that kind of mood. Maybe just a discussion thread for folks to list their fav. slow airs with links to them? Anything compiled in one spot would be heavenly for when you want to float among the clouds of a dreamy evening with your flute.

Katie, Jeremy has explained this all before, He’s not a "time signature techie" but the generous soul who started and maintains this site, for zero $$ compensation and sometimes little more reward than the frustration of people taking all his work for granted. He established this site to focus on the *dance* music of Ireland, and it’s damn hard to step dance to an air, so they’re not featured here. You can find a few airs if you know them by name (search for Inisheer, Aran Boat Song, and I think An Feochan is on this site as well, among others).

Of course, your best source of airs would be a live player or recording. Because they don’t go by as fast as the jigs and reels, airs area relatively easy to learn by ear, and you much better off picking up the phrasing and nuances that way than from some approximation in dots, abcs, or midi.

Posted .

Jeremy,
I’m sorry I opened this can of worms again as you’ve obviously been through it before. A category for Mazurkas would be great as although these are in 3/4 they are distinct from waltzes. Highlands and Schottiches are somewhat akin to barndances so I suppose can be added there.
Is there a technical reason why there can’t be more than one time signature in a category? I’m thinking of marches here which can be 4/4 or 6/8. (2/4 I’m not so sure of). Marches are in fact danced in ceili dances such as "The Three Tunes", which has a jig a reel and a march within it.
I’m all in favour of your original idea of restricting the content to Irish Traditional Dance music. I can appreciate that a miscellaneous category might open the flood gates to all sorts of esoteric oddities.

In answer to your question, yes there is a technical reason why there can’t be more than one time signature in a category.

The name to time signature relationship is 1:1. The value of the first determines the value of the other. That’s why, during the submission process, you are asked for the category of the tune but you don’t have to enter the time signature. It makes it easier for people submitting tunes and that’s the way I like it. Even if I wanted to change that, I couldn’t because of the way the database is structured.

I’ve added the category mazurka.

I know there was a recent "Gan Ainm" submitted by craniota which is a mazurka and was a listed as a waltz. I’ve updated this one.

If anybody has submitted any mazurkas in the past and they want to update the tune category, just go to the tune you submitted and click on "edit these details".

I look forward to hearing any mazurkas you’d like to submit, milesnagopaleen.

Anybody else got some? How about the Donegal contingent? Mairtin (an ceolteoir), I bet you’ve got some mazurkas up your sleeve.

Thanks, Jeremy, everything is crystal clear.

Would it not be a partial solution to include the type of dance or tune in the title, thus making it easier to spot what you’re after in a given time signature?
PP

Jeremy I would like to add a mazurka in D major that was usually played where I come from before The Irish Mazurka (Sonny’s). This set was simply known as "Sonny’s Mazurka’s". I was about to submit it as "Sonny’s #1" when I spotted that you requested that numbers not be included in tune titles. What should I do?

Submit it as "Sonny’s".

I’m sorry, Jeremy…I meant no offense. Upon going back and reading it…my writing sounds rather combative even though my mood and intent were not when I made the post.

Will, I stand corrected about the purpose of the site and Jeremy’s efforts to further irish dance music. I was unaware of these things, and thank you for informing me.

After searching on the term "slow airs" and seeing alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the discussions, I’m beginning to think there needs to be a big sign on the front door with your post printed on it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I feel I owe our kind Jeremy a sincere apology if I offended him with my tongue in cheek choice of words—"time signature techie". Mine was a sad attempt to beg for new airs from the other players since I enjoy playing them when my children are falling to sleep in the evenings or when the urge to play bites me and no one around wants to listen to lively things while they do quiet things. Besides being female, and therefore, emotional…sometimes airs are just what you need. Is that a gal thing? And maybe I WILL step dance quite seriously and dramatically to one just to see my kids laugh—thanks for the idea. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Being new to irish playing, the bulk of my playing has been my old school-band way…the way I did for so many years on my Boehm with sheet music. So with irish flute, that approach to playing has been my first impulse to learn melody, followed by ear work to add the finer touches. I do need more work on learning by ear. It has great advantages that my current method does not. But when I’m hungry to play…I don’t know many tunes yet…so sheet music is the salvation of the moment.

Not wishing to nit pick, but if the site is devoted to "Irish" dance music, then why would there be any Scottish music on here?

Para, we’ve also had several previous discussions about not splitting hairs just for the sake of splitting hairs… ๐Ÿ™‚

Jeremy’s open to other idioms within the "Celtic" genre, and in many cases, so are Irish sessions. So most of us long-time session.org members go with the flow. The occasional Scottish, Shetland, Breton, or Cape Breton set is welcome in most circles, in part because we live in a much more accessible, global village than our predecessors. If that’s part of what gets played at your local Irish session, then most people here won’t object to seeing it posted here.

And we’ve also just had a big long discussion about what tunes are "acceptable" for posting here, including tunes from other countries, so look there for a more complete answer to your question. Bottom line is that most of us are fairly flexible in our approaches to this music, especially when each of us also shows a sense of discretion and respect when submitting something that might be considered "fringe" or beyond the tradition.

Posted .