Learning Concertina online?

Learning Concertina online?

Does anyone kmw of any sites that could help with learning the concertina online? Or even any good books?

Re: Learning Concertina online?

John Williams "Learn to Play Irish Concertina" Video

http://www.concertina.net/learning.html

(from the link)

"I got the John Williams "Learn to Play Irish Concertina" Video. GET IT! I’m absolutely crazy about this guy’s playing, especially after watching the video. If nothing else, buy it for the tunes he plays coming into and leaving the video on his Dipper (to me, the best sounding concertina I’ve ever heard) - he’s just incredible. His sense of timing and rhythm is incredible, and his playing is full of great ornamentation. Everything he plays seems to come to life and is actually great to listen to, instead of just "interesting". He teaches part of it on an ugly Scholer 20 button, but don’t let that scare you away; it’s only for 8 minutes out of 65 and the rest is on a Jeffries. He teaches five tunes, note for note; O’ro, Jimmy Ward’s Jig, The Kesh Jig, Bobby Casey’s Jig, and Last Night’s fun. It is generally directed towards beginner players, but it’s great just watching him play. It comes with a booklet with the sheet music for the tunes that are taught, and it is well worth the $29."

If you are a total rank beginner with no musical experience whatsoever then I would suggest the Williams Video or even the Nial Vallely CD-Rom. For a book, the Frank Edgely tutor with CD’s is really great. As is the Mick Bramitch book. I would reccomend the Bramitch book as the best of that lot. He goes into detail on the tunes and explains a lot about the actual playing. What I have been having a lot of success and enjoyment from is the Kevin Burke "Learning the Irish Fiddle " tutor with CD’s put out by Homespun Tapes. It forces you to find the tunes by ear, gives you good practice trying to make your concertina play the tunes along with a fiddler ( a good 30 button C/G is in the same range) and I find Kevin Burke a good teacher. He’s funny and he’s fun.
As for learning online, make sure you go to Concertina.net. They are very nice and helpful there.

There also Ayepod.net that has an online tutorial with Simon Thoumire who plays English Concertina. I took this course and found it a fantastic help.

Posted by .