List of All-Ireland Venues Revisited

Re: List of All-Ireland Venues Revisited

Nope, I got the maths wrong… It was ‘revisited’ you were on about wasn’t it?

Hmm, an intriguing list.

Apart from the obvious points that none of the Six Counties feature and there’s a marked leaning to Lugubrious Ó Murchú’s hinterland, it’s interesting that the Fleadh has never been held in either County Cork or County Dublin.

Posted by .

Which is a sin…in my book…

It would be fairer if they based it on a similar set-up as Cymru/Wales has for their National Eisteddfod, which is that it NEVER is in the same county twice in a row, and it travels around. I suspect this engenders greater pride in the country over all ~ everyone sharing in the celebrations and benefits…in turn…

Sorry about the seeming wind-up earlier, I was actually intrigued and thinking about the list, but couldn’t find a question to answer or a problem to respond to, then Geoff threw a switch. While living in Eire I never liked the focus on Listowel… I even avoided it for that reason, but I also caught it in Buncrana and Ennis and enjoyed the change… The last time we attended it was in Listowell and we didn’t stay… Something just didn’t feel right about it? But we have our built in biases, one being a dislike of competition in the tradition… As far as fleadhs go we prefer the smaller fleadhs and events like the Clancy Week, minus the competitions…

I’ve always felt that the best part of the All-Ireland was the week before…

Total agreement ceolachan! tis when you can get in the pubs without being totally crushed. loads of good musicians there getting settled in for the weekend.

I have to say though, ive been to 3 all-irelands now: Listowel, Clonmel and Letterkenny and Listowel was def my fave because everythings on one street and it just seems so much more festive somehow?Dunno if im going mad. Clonmel seemed wrong since Clonmels massive compared to Listowel but Letterkenny was ok when I found the cottage bar which was so tiny it just felt right!lol gonna go to this years one too- Tullamore isnt it? Anyone else planning a trip there?