Fiddle contests in the US?

Fiddle contests in the US?

Is there anyone who knows about any Irish fiddle contests in the United States, specifically Michigan? Also does anyone know about any performance opportunities besides pub sessions in Michigan, because I am under 21?, and I live where there are no fiddlers to be found.

Posted by .

Re: Fiddle contests in the US?

a man named Bruce in Ann Arbor will teach you to perform.

Posted .

Who is Bruce in Ann Arbor? Help me out here.

Posted by .

Where in MI do you live, akoz? I might be able to help you out if I had a better idea of where you are in the mitten.

The Midwest Regional Fleadh Cheoil would probably be your best bet for an Irish fiddle competition. It’s location changes from year to year. This year it’s in St. Louis, in 2008 it’ll be in the Detroit area. There’s also the music competition at the Detroit Irish Dance Feis.

akoz
Have you considered Fiddle Contests in neighbouring Ontario? I saw in your recordings submitted, Shane Cook’s name. I’m sure he knows all the fiddle contests in Ontario, including Shelbourne, He’s on tour with Bowfire right now, back in London area in 3 months.

Rob

I live around Port Huron, southern thumb area, if that helps. Thanks, Rob. alison, when is the Detroit Irish Dance Feis, I looked for stuff in detroit, but I had no luck.

Posted by .

http://feisdetroit.com/index.htm

that’s the Detroit feis website… not much info up right now, but check back over the next couple months. The competition is in June.

There is plenty of Irish music and Irish fiddle players around the Detroit/ Ann Arbor area, which isn’t outrageously far from you. Check out detroitirish.org and detroitima.org for information. There are also a few really nice sessions, a couple in Detroit, one in Ann Arbor, one in Birmingham and probably some others. I know you said you wanted places to play besides pub sessions, but they are terrific places to get to know musicians from the Michigan area.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Alison

Also, I am under 21 as well, and the trad sessions around here generally welcome young musicians, even the ones in pubs.

There is one every spring in historic Sautter (don’t know If I spelled that right) Village. It is about an hour from Toledo, where I live. I cant give you the exact location though, sorry.

I went to it last year; it was very good, very informal wich helped me ‘cus it was my first contest. you got to jam in the village beforehand too. It is more bluegrass the Irish though.

There is also a very good group of Irish/Celtic mucisians in Hillsdale Collage. they have a Pipe and Drum Coprs, (you will love the piping gerneral’s accents!) an irish dancing group, and a band headed by one Patrick Whalen. They are all very talented young people, and they would welcome and new skill and enthusiasm.

If you want any more info, e-mail me at fiddlereel@gmail.com. my sister goes there and she can get you any where you want to go on campus!

Thanks alot, that all helps alot.

Posted by .