Sad news about Billy Moran (1928-2007)

Sad news about Billy Moran (1928-2007)

Hey everyone,

I’ve just heard the news that Billy Moran passed away this morning. He was truely one of the great players of the Australian Irish scene and an inspiration and patient mentor to generations of players here in Melbourne. He will be sorely missed.

Re: Sad news about Billy Moran (1928-2007)

Yes, sad indeed. A gentleman and a scholar!

I’m really sad to hear this. Irish music sessions in Melbourmne (and festivals all over) will be much the poorer for his passing. He was generous with his time and talent and will be missed.

G.

The first tune reminds me of an old Galway Hornpipe with the name "I’m tired and off to my house to sleep" ( at least thats what the Irish translated says ) The Reel is mighty, I used play it years ago. Another one that used get lots of wellie was "The Rainy Day" again mighty on a BC Box.

Billy’s legacy is his love of the music he passed on to all of us who were lucky enough to know him.

I’m certain everyone who learnt a tune, listened and played along and shared a joke with the great gentle man can take comfort in the memories of his music and his smile.

Condolences to Eileen, Michael and family.

When lesser mortals were sneering at the bodhran player, Billy would say "Give me a bit on the side (clickety clackety rim shots), I love a bit on the side". It always went down well with at least one member of the session.
I’m sure there are many anecdotes out there if anyone would like to share.
A sad day.

very sad indeed and a great loss to the Australian scene. Never met anyone else who could play all night and all morning even after the young ones crawled off to bed. RIP Billy.

Posted by .

Very sad day. this man influenced so many of us not only with his magnificent music but his friendship, his warmth and his humour. He told me once that I had played a tune "just right "- the way it was meant to be" - I felt 10 feet tall and never forgot it !- I’ll never forget him. A true legend and an honour to have called him a friend.

After reading the comments from people that knew him I’m struck by how the things about the man your describing came across in his music… and I’ve only heard the sound clips I found on line. What a treasure.

I’m very sad. I looked forward to catching up with Billy every six months and was hoping to see him in a few weeks. Will be sorely missed. Sympathy to Eileen and family.

Posted by .

McKnowall, I can also remember Billy whispering "What a f*ckin racket!" .
There were several bodhrans and guitars going at once though, it was a f*ckin racket alright

Posted by .

Thanks for that link PB. What fine playing indeed. RIP Billy.

There’s less swearing in the world, now, and the loss is ours. God rest your soul, Billy.

Posted by .

I don’t get to Melbourne as often as I would like, maybe 2 or 3 times a year. But when I’ve been there on a Sunday night I’ve always headed straight for the ‘Quiet Man’ to soak up the music and warmth of Billy’s unfailing hospitality. He was passionate about his music as well as the need to pass it on to others. No one ever felt excluded or shut out by Billy and we’ll all miss him terribly.

Sure, YonBadLearner, but he would have been smiling as he said it. His ready acceptance of all players sometimes attracted all sorts. a couple of years ago at the national he aquired five bodhran players and a couple of rock guitarists for a while, but kept smiling and playing right through the racket.
(then went outside for a ciggy)

I should’ve added a smiley ๐Ÿ™‚ mcknowall. It was very funny at the time
Billy was a great man for the sessions. It won’t be the same place without him.

Posted by .

For anyone who would like to pay their repects:

Service:
Friday 16th at 11am
St.Gabriel’s Church
Spring street
Reservoir
Melbourne

Burial:
At 1pm Fri 16th
In the Yan Yean cemetery
Melways Ref: Key Map B
between Mernda and Whittlesea.

And afterwards at
The Quiet Man Pub in
Racecourse Road
Flemington, Melbourne

For condolences
Eileen’s Address:
23A Southern Hay Street
Reservoir. 3075
Victoria.

Sorry to hear about Billy.He was a true stalwart of the Melbourne scene.I remember walking into a pub in Maldon and he was playing The Bucks by himself,eyes closed and the fag hanging from his mouth.I’m sure he’ll be sorely missed.

Bucks was one of Bill’s favorites along with maids of Mt Cisco. For me - I loved it when he played The Moving Cloud and The Dawn. Magnificent.
The other thing Bill would do is tell us how people played the tunes too fast and how they sounded better a bit slower - by the end of the night of course no one could keep up with the old boy ๐Ÿ™‚