How do I find out where the sessions are in the NE of England?

How do I find out where the sessions are in the NE of England?

I am on business in the North East of England in the next week or two and I was thinking I might try and find a good session to attend. I was wondering if there are any good Web Sites that detail this kind of info. Or can anybody recommend a good session ? It would be great to get along and either play or listen to music rather than sitting in a hotel room watching the telly! Any ideas about finding sessions listings in the North East would be appreciated.

Re: How do I find out where the sessions are in the NE of England?

Jon, you should check out the ‘Sessions’ section here?

Three regular ones in Durham City, listed in the ‘Sessions’ section here. I can add to these:
A small student session in The Shakespeare Tavern on Wednesdays,
A singaround in The Elm Tree on Thursdays - a rumour I haven’t checked (i.e., that they’ve just moved in from a suburb),
An agreeably zany singer / guitarist session on Mondays at The Tap And Spile, Framwellgate Moor - good for a change.

There are quite a few in Newcastle, again listed in ‘Sessions’ section. Hexham and Morpeth seem well off for regular sessions.

Where in the NE do you expect to be staying?

I am going to be in the Darlington area but I can easily travel 30 0r 40 miles if it’s worth it. Thanks for the tips I will look at the sessions listed here but I am aware of course that not all sessions get listed on our site here.

A bit outside Durham on the Darlington side is a village called Croxdale where there’s a folk club-cum workshop on Fridays from 8.30 in the Community Centre.
There don’t seem to be any publicised sessions in South Co.Durham and Tees-side, though Heaven knows, some good musicians live there. It is true though that sessions take place, or have done, in obscurity, on a regular or one-off basis.
(I think there’s a monthly one at The Black Bull at Frosterley in Weardale, but I don’t know its dates or days - you could ring them up.)

But if a folk club will do, you stand a good chance of finding one in striking distance of Darlington. There were any amount of them round Co. Durham at the height of the folk boom and I imagine there are still some around in S. Durham / Tees-side / N. Yorkshire. But I don’t know where they’d be, or which website could furnish details.

Sessions on the first, third and fifth tuesdays at the Cumberland Arms in Newcastle are good.

Try looking up the Tyneside branch of Comhaltas. They might have a session on.

There’s a real nice session in the Tyneside Irish Centre on a monday evening starting around half eight, some great players usually get in for tunes. Cumberland Arms in Byker also has an irish session every wed with a late license at the bar….always a good one! Eygpt cottage in Newcatle also a good one on a thurs evenign although tunes are usually mad, fast and furious!! Sunday evening in O’Neills next to central station also has a nice tune starting about nineish?? These are most of the tunes in the Newcastle area. Cheers