A Plea for informative comments/opinions in the recordings section

A Plea for informative comments/opinions in the recordings section

I think it would be of benefit to all if more use was made of comments in the recordings section. I have not heard of some of the artists listed and would like to know more. Flying Pig by Slide, for example.. who dey?
What I’d like to see is info and value judgements. After all if you have taken the trouble to submit a recording, why not let us have your opinion of it? If you have the recording why not let us know also what you like or dislike about it. Perhaps we could have a star rating. What do folks think?

Re: A Plea for informative comments/opinions in the recordings section

I think I would def like to know the background of bands/ musicians - the star rating is a nice idea but because we all have such different tastes I really dont think it would work that well.

Posted by .

i agree with milesnagopleen about the need for comments.

it’s very frustrating for me to look up a recording that i’m not familiar with & find no information about it at all. i’d love to know why the person who posted the recording thinks that recording is any good. or which tunes they particularly like. or almost anything … but a list of tunes by itself? i can find that in any number of other places on the web.

sarah

Everyone has different tastes, yes, bb, but we seem to be getting to know each other, and little by little, we probably can guess whose tastes we agree with. You seem to know what you’re talking about, and if you panned something, it would probably slide down a hair on my priority of must-have recordings.

Yes we all have different tastes which would make the star rating completely subjective. So a star rating without justifying comments would be of little help. However. if you’ve ever read through the reader reviews on amazon.com, for example, it’s not too difficult to start to form an opinion from the consensus and to guage which reviews would be consistent with your own tastes.
The importance of the list of tunes on recordings is the fact that is is linked to the tunes database so when viewing a tune you can see which recordings you might find it on. I say "might" because this feature is flawed by the unavoidable existence of duplicate titles of tunes. The way around this if there is one could be the subject of another thread, I think.

It seems I have struck a rich vein of apathy on this one.

which is too bad.

i think that the lack of comments when recordings are posted is a real problem.

sarah

i remember making a similar request some time ago and i’ld like to second or even third this suggestion.
of course,i then looked up one my own recording submissions and was immediately hoisted by my own petard (not fatal but nasty all the same) and humble pie aside,i would really appreciate the comments
best wishes

Perhaps the apparent deluge of apathy is simply some folk avoiding "me too" postings?

It’s a good idea and I agree with cuchulain’s point about getting to know who’s tastes one agrees with.

I’d like to read comments from members of this site before spending $30 or more on a disc that I hope to use as a learning resource.

Posted by .

Cuch thats a nice thing to say, as you guys know I cant put tunes up cause I cant read music. I hope however I have good taste in music seeing as its my favourite thing and its all I do - boring I know🙂 This is an important thread for sure - that thing about the ‘flying pig by slide’ I dont know about you but without any comments I can safetly say I wouldnt think about buying that recording. If you like it enough to put on the site surely you have something - anything to say about that particular band or album. Oh and Ive come around on the start rating - you lads are right - as long as its done with comments then its a good idea.

Posted by .

It’s so refreshing to have everyone in accord. Where have I gone wrong?

Miles - I think we all agree with the spirit of your request. I also believe that we are all doing something about our posts in the comments sections. I think we will start being far more helpful to everyone else in the coming weeks.

I submitted "the flying pig" by Slide. Sorry i did’nt give any details. Will do in future.

I have included some comments for the album "the flying pig" by Slide. Is this the type of info that people what? Should we go into more detail?

Celtic 1234, Good enuf for me!