Bliss retires

Bliss retires

Last night, sitting with the drum perched on my knee, scratching my ear, awaiting my dramatic, well rehearsed introduction to the tunes, I decided to hit a single "boom" just to show I was awake. Now this was to be done llike a Lambeg drummer, just swing your arm and hit 18 inches of drum once, with the end of the stick.

I missed the entire drum. All 18 inches. Now no-one noticed, but I did.

Is it time to go?

Farewell, fine friends.

Re: Bliss retires

Just rest up a bit, and try again tonight.
You know sometimes it’s a struggle to be heard in the cacophony of melody players………………………………….. Try again Bliss. Try again.

Good-bye, Good-bye,
Over it is, yes
Over it is. so
Don’t have regrets.

Rather
instead,
discover
another
niche.
Create and
enthuse

Posted .

Don’t leave us, Bliss!

"I missed the entire drum" - Bliss, Ya shoulda gone tae SPECSAVERS! πŸ˜›

Don’t do it. I too am a bodhranist and the heart beat of ITM will surely fade without one of our brethren. Maybe take up Tenor banjo as many other drummers have to broaden their playing.

Ken

Buy a bigger drum.

Ah, you were playing a tiny 18 incher when you were thinking Lambeg. It’s no wonder you missed the whole goat. Simply scale down your expectations. Sure, your mates won’t notice a thing….
πŸ˜‰

Posted .

I know a dancer who missed the entire floor!

Posted by .

What expectations can the best on the planet have? Other than, of course, to loose that lofty possition one day?

Posted .

"Buy a bigger drum." a lambeg maybe ? πŸ™‚

You should not have been in the bath / swimming pool at the time. It is very difficult to hit things under water, because of refraction, as anybody who’s lobbed anything at a fish will testify. The cacophony of melody was presumably you singing Dervish’s Eurovision song as you frolicked in the waters, or the hoots and shrieks of others if you were in a public pool.

I can think of no other circumstances under which you could possibly have missed.

"No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."

Samuel Beckett

Wow… I guess that video of John Joe really shattered his confidence. 😲

Success doesn’t mean the absence of failures; it means the attainment of ultimate objectives. It means winning the war, not every battle.
- Edward Bliss (perhaps a relative BB?) πŸ˜‰

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error.
- John Kenneth Galbraith

Thanks to those of you for ypour wonderful support but Mr Llig is right, when you have reached the top, the only way is down.
I have two options. To many of you computer literate people LOL means something. Here in Norn Ireland it means Loyal Orange Lodge, so it is the Orangemen for me and a lambeg drum, wouldn’t even need glasses.
The other option is a new instrument. Forget the viola, no point in being ridiculed all over again, I could learn the whistle properly, or strum a zouk, there can’t be that many chords needed.

And Phantom, was that John Joe? I am impressed, I can see why he is famous and recognised as the third best bodhran player to have come out of Manchester in the last thirty years.

A man called Vinny was the second best, in case you are wondering.

Does that meen Vinny takes it by default? Or are we to have an open play off? (Give me plenty of notice, for obvious reasons)

Posted .

Vinny didn’t have a lot of choice, he only had one hand. (sic)

that is sic

Posted .

Was bodhran bliss on the p*ss when he did miss? if so, sober up and give it another go!

Hey, mistakes get made… sometimes I’m playing and the bow flies out of my hand… and into some person’s lap while trying to enjoy his potato soup

I do not drink. The only excuse I can offer is that it was the first occasion in years when I may have passed a drug test.
No it is time to face the truth. Mohammed Ali, John McEnroe, Jack Nichlaus, Babe Ruth, Joe Montana, D.J Carey, Bodhranbliss, age gets us all in the end.

No it is the fiddle for me. If I accept that I anm not going to be the greatest in the world, I could limit myself to say Kevin Burke standard. Even an old man like me could achieve that in two years.

Does this mean that I am now the greatest? Whoopee!

I have an idea, Blissters… give up the competition. Instead of claiming to be the best, try saying that you really enjoy playing the bodhran. See how that feels for a while.

It is not a competition Phantom, just a fact. Some of us are aflicted with greatness, others aspire to it. You surely know my views on "competitions" and "Grading" for musicians.

I hereby resign and bequeth my title to McKnowall.

Does an unhit drum make the sound of one hand clapping?
If a drummer swings his arm, and no noise ensues, does anyone hear it?
There are some deep philisophical issues at play here.

Next time, aim for the sky — then when you miss, you’ll hit the drum.

Now how many times did old Sinatra "retire" and then return for another "final" tour?
McKnowall, be a good chap and just keep Bliss’s seat warm for him, will you?

Hound, is Bliss going on tour then?

Missing the drum is one thing, but admitting it is a sure sign of dementia. I’m happy to keep Bliss’s seat warm (if you mean his chair), but I’m afraid it it looks hopeless.

Following a legend is always difficult, a no win situation as the fans always pine for old whatisname.

Who?

"Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again" - Nat King Cole