Obscure recordings

Obscure recordings

Just wondering what kind of not so well known recordings others have in their album collections ? Kenny put the notion in my head in the Altan/Frankie Kennedy thread when he told me of a recording by a good friend of mine which I never knew existed.

I have a recording from the 70’s , back home, by a group formed by Joe Mulherne, singer/song writer. I think they were called The Men Of No Property ? Maybe People Of No Property ? I know for sure Joe sang on the recording and Brian Sutherland played fiddle. I think Eileen Webster sang also but not sure. Eileen, Joe and Brian moved to Derry from Belfast in the 70’s.

Anybody remember them ? And what gems have you stashed away to take alomg to the Antiques Roadshow when they visit town ? 🙂

Re: Obscure recordings

Yeah Brian Moore sang with them too; he of the "we are the moving statues movement" fame.
He’s a good friend of the family.

I knew I’d get a response from you Conan 🙂 Do you remember Eileen’s maiden name ? I heard the guys talk of Brian Moore but I never met him.

Speaking of obscure recordings, it would help if those of us posting the recordings in question provided the references for the CD or whatever. At least it would give us an idea as to their availability.
You or your brother in law may have recorded someting terrific in your garage, but it won’t be much help if we can’t actually hear it. Simple as that. I am even beginning to wonder wether some of the recordings posted on this site even exist !

Pennhorse, have you tried looking at the "comments" under recordings. Any I have checked out usually have fairly detailed information.

Not obscure, but not I think represented in the Recordings database here, was an Irish band called General Humbert, round the late 80s. They did a couple of good albums.

Strathfoyle, I always look under "comments" but a lot don’t provide the needed info as to where you can get the stuff, and the "no matches found " from Amazon appears only too often. I also try Celtic grooves, Ossian etc.( Which is probably good in a way, because I find myself buying way too many CDs as it is…)

Point taken Pennhorse. I guess it’s hit and miss for the recordings’ references,labels etc at the moment. Maybe by highlighting it here now most might start providing that info in future.

Wasn’t it in General Humbert that Mary Black got her start?

Posted by .

Yeah they were really good; although I’m pretty sure Mary Black sang with her family I think you’re right to suggest that she made her name with General Humbert.
Vinnie Kilduff played the pipes with them, although he’s better known as a whistle player. Who were the other mambers of the group? I’m sure I could Google it but that takes the fun out of it.

Strathfoyle I don’t know what Eileen’s maiden name was. Can you fill me in?

Cheers!

C

Conan, I can’t remember off hand Eileen’s maiden name but it will bug me all day and I’ll probably end up making a call home to get it. I know her and her ex very well. He’s a scouser living in Derry since the 70’s. Surely one of you Belfast wans must remember her ? 🙂 She’s well known in singing circles.

Anyone have info on a band from the late 70s called, How To Change A Flat Tire? I believe they were located in New England, possibly Boston area?

Is that Eileen Webster as in the SWP and NIPSA trade union? She was out guest speaker a few years ago at our AGM. I didn’t even know she sang.
She probably doesn’t know she was the guest of the (in)famous Bliss.

LOL Bliss , that’s the one and only as Beal Feirste. She moved to Derry to get away from you lot 🙂

Bad news is our trade union conference is in Derry, 29th May onwards. The worse news is that half of my relations are Derry wans, as my da was from Stanleys Walk, the Gasyard wall and all that.