Woodwind instruments ?

Woodwind instruments ?

My question is…………can ITM accomodate other wind instruments, other than flute ? We had a lass call into our session recently with clarinet and didgeyradoo(sp?) and it was a pleasant change ! The highlight of the night was her playing The Wind That Shakes The Barley !

Wanna share your unique experiences ?

Re: Woodwind instruments ?

Clarinet - OK, it can sound good if played in the right hands.
As for the DIDGERIDOO, I refer you to an old thread of mine: https://thesession.org/discussions/11104

I’m hoping against hope that it was the clarinet she played The Wind That Shakes The Barley on!

A didgeridoo at a session? Are you serious? That’s hilarious.

Serious but it was in F, meant a capo for me, fiddles had to noodle.

Joe, yep was the clarinet mate. πŸ™‚ How’s the digeridoo doing ?

Screetch, unbelievable good backing for tunes, a wee bit on the loud side, if picking a fault.

PS Joe, and she could whistle a good tune too. But then she was a Sheila πŸ™‚

Ummm, Hoofhearted, the pipes are a woodwind instrument. Think about it.

Many moons ago we were visited by a didgeridoo player who provided a mean drone for D tunes. And why not! πŸ˜€

Well, it’s certainly a trad instrument…very much the wrong trad, but if it works it works. But if I saw one at a session I’d bust a gut laughing.

I listened to part of a session at a festival with harp, flute and didge - it sounded really good!

Second that comment on didge backing. We played a sort of mixed entertainment night and asked the didge player if he’d like to join in for one; checked the tuning, (I think it was D) and off we went. Sounded wonderful! And nothing wrong with a meeting of cultures that might have, understatement set to max, copped a hard time over the years.

I was at WC week in Miltown a few years ago at a superbly flowing session when a guy walked in carrying a didgeridoo. A very talented and well known fiddle player (you know who you are!) walked over to him and said, "Please - didgereedon’t.!" πŸ™‚

To his credit the guy didn’t take offence and one of the best sessions I’ve ever been to continued for the next hour or so without the digeridoo. Whether or not it would have been improved had the didgeridoo joined in I have no idea, but I have ever since referred to it (and I know it’s not fair πŸ™‚) as the ‘didgeridon’t’

Posted by .

Who was the fiddler Rhod ? nah, keep it to your self ! My original point was………I’d never seen a didgeradoo player perform before, outside of Steve Cooney with Stockton;s Wing and it was definitely fun, something you’re not going to encounter every weekend, and as I stated before twas a female and what a set of bellows !

IMHO a didgereedo is made of wood, but should be classified as a brass instrument πŸ˜‰
and fits nicely to Irish music, listen to Liam O’Flynn’s version of Phis Fhluich on "The Given Note"!

Irish musicians complaining about a drone? Jayzus. Like the Pope complaining about Italian cooking.

I am half-heartedly toying with the idea of buying one of those "whistle-player’s hornpipes." They are basically low whistles with a sax reed instead of a fipple. And then I always remember that I don;t care for saxophones.

Isn;t there a didg on a Matt Molloy album or is that simply my imagination?

Re: Woodwind instruments ????

A didgeridoo for those who care is a rhythm instrument. It just so happens that it’s made of wood and requires the player to use air, albeit only a small amount.
They can be tuned to a range of musical keys. They also come in different catagories from the bog standard to the concert class, hence the differnce in cost, ranging from AU$200 to AU$3500 for a concert class in the key of D!!!!

Just thought i’d post in case any one was interested!