How do you pronounce Maighread Ní Dhomhnaill?

How do you pronounce Maighread Ní Dhomhnaill?

Would someone please help me with the correct pronunciation of Maighread Ní Dhomhnaill? I have some conflicting advice, and none of it’s complete. I’ve been told that Triona’s first name is pronounced TREE-nah or TREE-nuh. Is either correct?

Thank you!

Beth

Re: How do you pronounce Maighread Ní Dhomhnaill?

my rid knee hoe null. she doesn’t pronounce her first name" ma ree id"

Thank you!

Beth

I’ve heard it pronounced Tree-nah Nee Gonal

Posted by .

Murph, that would be Triona, her sister.

Actually if you say it Tree-Na there’s a vowel missing, isn’t there? I think it should be TREE-uh-nuh.

For example many people outside Ireland pronounce the name Niamh as "Neeve", but the Irish will say "NEE-uhv". The little "uh" is very subtle but it’s definitely part of the name.

I can still remember the look of disgust on the face of a woman named Cliona when someone from England insisted on calling her "Kleeenah" (exactly the way he would pronounce "cleaner") - instead of "KLEE-uh-nuh".

Come to think you’ll hear Southern Brits pronouncing "Ireland" in exactly the same way as the word "island" - not only ignorant but extremely confusing. Anyway­…

Nearest I can get in phonetics……Myrad Nee Ghonill, emphasis on the aspirated D off her surname, it’s a gutteral sound.

Jeeves - Should your name be pronounced ‘JEE-uhvs’, then?

Actually, by contrast to what you are saying, I met a Clareman called Ian a few years ago. The way he pronounced his name sounded, to my English-attuned ears, at least, like ‘EEN’. Perhaps there was a diphthong in there somewhere, but he lingered on the first part for so long that the second part was all but swallowed up. No doubt, there is considerable regional variation in pronunciation features such as these, but they are probably overlooked in favour of gross distinctions between Irish regional accents. If you see what I mean.

I’m surprised Llig hasn’t climbed in here to say you can’t possibly get ANY idea of how it sounds by reading from the page (phonetically or otherwise) - you need to HEAR someone pronounce it !
😀

Haha spoon, well I do have a standing joke with a young Niamh, daughter of a friend of mine, whereby I sign birthday cards etc. as "Stiamh" 🙂

A friend of mine signs his Seán McGluaisteáin.

(Sorry, in-joke for dodgy Gaeilge speakers)

John Carr, I would presume!

But yes, unless we go to the International Phonetic Alphabet, everyone will have their own little spelling or misinterpretations! While this brings wonderful variation to the tunes it’s a pain in the ass when someone keeps mispronouncing your name!

Ah, yes, Maighread Ní Dhomhnaill, great voice, beautiful name (or have I got that the wrong way round?).

i just call her Mary O’ Donal.Life is too short to learn Irish pronunciation.

Is life to short to learn any language apart from your own? If I was heavily into raï, wouldn´t it be strange if I couldn´t pronounce Cheb Khaled´s name?