Accidental performance…. honest!

Accidental performance…. honest!

The most bizzare thing just happened to me right now. I live at the top of a five-storey block of flats, overlooking the T-junction of two busy main roads. Now my bedroom has a habit of getting very hot, so the occasion sometimes arises that I’m playing the fiddle in my bedroom with the window open. It’s a noisy street, and I live about sixty feet away from it anyway, so it doesn’t matter much.
One of those occasions arose this evening, and I was playing the Bukovina Freylech, a great Klezmer tune, by the window. Now I’m sort of in a different world when I’m playing, so it was only when I reached the final high D of the piece that I realized there was a denim-clad guy with a moustache standing in the street watching me, and quite possibly had been since I started playing.
He started clapping. I had to duck away out of sight to crack up, but when I emerged he was still there, leaning against a railing, arms folded, looking up at me expectantly! He was obviously expecting a performance. So… I gave him one. I played him a fast, flashy set of reels, bowed, he gave me the thumbs-up, and I went into a different room to crack up some more.

It was just… a very weird experience altogether. I had a moment of connection with, literally, a complete randomer on the street, through the Music, just because he happened to look up at the right time.
Has anybody else had a weird moment like that before?

Re: Accidental performance…. honest!

denim-clad guy with a moustache? maybe he was intersted in more than just your playing ; )

The guy with the moustashe might have been a reporter called Borat. But dont fret for I hear he’s still looking for a woman in red water panties.

It’s the stradella bass that makes ‘em all look so alike I guess

Jimmy Shand doesn’t have moustache…

oops I posted to the wrong thread as well. I really should get back to work. So sorry

Joe, your experience may be sort of intruduction to busking for someone shy, who wants approach it step by step. It’s like busking, even though you’re still at home.

However, I can see one serious disadvantage. Who would manage to throw some money into a hat on the top of five storey block of flats…? ;)

Posted by .

Joe, you got me baffled there mate with Bukovina, Freylech and Klezmer ? Maybe I’m too long in the US !

I was recently told by a neighobr that they like to listen to me play and often postpone their dinner until my practice time
since their dining room is the best place for listening.

They live across the street from me and I had no idea they could hear me. It’s a decent distance so my guess is that they can’t hear it too loudly. Maybe they can’t hear the mistakes.

: )

Mary

Last Sunday was a beautiful day in Michigan and I took my dog for a walk in the woods. When we decided to rest, having looked around me and finding myself alone I sat on a log and played some tunes. I looked up and there was a young lady and her dog at a safe distance on the trail, sitting on a log, listening. She sat there for about 7 complete tunes.

This happens quite frequently, actually. I guess the whistle sounds grand in the forest as it echoes through the trees, mingles with the wind, and is accompanied by the brook and birdsong.

I’ve had people stop and stare for a few seconds, but then they usually walk briskly on.

Well, I stopped in town this morning to get a tyre fixed and pulled out the whistle whilst I was waiting. Then I spotted the two or three Polish lads and a local Irish chap were kinda staring and looking bemused - - ‘who’s that crackpot’ seemed to be vibe. So that’s modern Ireland for you now - La Feile Padraig coming up or not!

Posted .

RIght when i started playing, I used to take my silent fiddle and practice in millenium park in Chicago. That way I didn’t bother my coworkers on my lunchbreak and nobody else could hear me. So I’m out playing by a fountain and this random lady comes up and gives me $10!

The best part was getting into an argument with a security guard who then came and tried to fine me for busking without a license..on a silent instrument!

Matan_F! That’s the funniest thing I have read on this site! The random lady is funny enough, but the security guard, too! I’ll be laughing all night.

I see you are a comedian. Got any more?

Glad to bring a smile to your evening. I can’t promise a pearl every time but I’ll do my best.

Recently, we were taking a red-eye flight to Boston that got delayed. So around midnight, we found a deserted corner of the airport to run through the tunes we were set to play at a memorial service later that day. And then taught each other some tunes. Laid back practicing. By the time we were packing up to catch the flight, we had several people sitting around us. And getting on the plane, I must have had 6 or 7 people say "thanks for the music, you made waiting in the airport much more enjoyable".

My response was "gee, it’s not every day people get to hear us practice" :-/

It is an interesting thing, though. Live music is often enjoyable to people no matter how good or bad it is. And the spontaneity of something like that can make someone’s day.

Pete