Exiles

Exiles

Just curious lads/lassies. How many exiled members have we on here ? I’ve got to know a few in my time here …..Ptarmy, Conan, and Key Maniac Lad to name a few.

I’m wondering, do you miss the music /craic back home ? The bug is definitely biting me recently. I’m almost certain heading home for an extended stay and meet up with all the old gang.

Any of you other exiles get get that homesickness bug ?

Re: Exiles

I should have added……there’s a scarcity of music where I live, could you live with that ?

Don’t listen to that eegit Key Maniac Lad. A waster and a ne’er-do-well.

Answering your 2nd question, Yes and no, I don’t actually get homesick, but I think glasgow is nowadays a fine place to live. I don’t really miss the craic there as there is plenty here. As for the 3rd Q, I could live with it if everything else outweighed the music, but it would behove me to try and start up some kind of session locally.

By exiles Strathfoyle I assume you mean? - "anyone separated from his or her country or home voluntarily or by force of circumstances."

Yes, I chose to exile myself here in Norn Iron & one of the main reasons for moving was actually to get nearer to some good ITM, than I was in the wilds of Aberdeenshire!

So, to answer your question, I don’t get the homesickness bug for musical reasons, as I get plenty of ye old diddly dee where I am now.

In fact I was home for a couple of days this month but although in Edinburgh, the closest I got to my old local, Bells, was a night at the Jazz Bar on Chambers St. watching my son play Guitar.

It did occur to me to nip into Bells en route, with a Bodhran to cheer llig up, but I just didn’t have the time - bet he’s sad about that!

I dare say those who have *had* to move away from home will have a different outlook.

Jayzz Danny, another anagram ? Your ok in London mate. I’m in red neck/deep south US, I’m lucky to get one session a month these days, a big come down from seven nightsa week back home !

"Don’t listen to that eegit Key Maniac Lad. A waster and a ne’er-do-well."

Rubbish! I’ve always found - even lookng back YEARS in the discussions that everything he ever said was absolutely to the point and brilliant.

OTOH, everything ever written by Nyc, I am a Dalek - again going back YEARS - is absolute cr*p and should not be heeded in any way whatsoever.

Ptarmy, what kept ye ? Was waiting on your response πŸ™‚ Tell me this ? What year did you move across ? I think it was the 80’s some time I met you in the Dungloe Bar, Derry with Jerry Mc Elhinney.

Gad ! Now I’m really homesick, see you in Ballycastle the marra πŸ™‚

Strath, I first hit Ireland, Co Meath, in 1969 when most folks here were just wee twinkles in their daddie’s eyes! I worked in Meath & Tipperary for four years & then headed home, but have been back & forward since on a regular basis, a year or so at a time. Then we moved over here permanently in 1992.

I lived in Dublin during ‘79/’80 so I guess that’s probably where I was based when we met in Derry.
A lot of Guinness has been pished up against the wall since then eh!

There’s a seat in Tom’s with your name on it! 😎

1992 sounds about right when we met. Jerry wasn’t long moved across from Glasgow. The Guinness ? LOL and guess what ? I got my usual St Pat’s card from my Mum yesterday, dhe puts a few quid in it, bless her, I guess that’s a few more Guinness to be pished πŸ™‚

Does it count that I am an exile from the States, as opposed to Ireland? Still miss the music and craic back home. You wouldn’t think of Boulder, Colorado off-hand as being a fantastic place for Irish trad music, but it really was and those sessions are still some of the best I’ve ever had. I misses you all!!!

I presume Strathfoyle was not referring only to Irish exiles, as two of the three he names are Scots. SIlver Spear - I’m sure you qualify.

I moved from London to a small town Mid-Wales at the end of last year. I wouldn’t say there is exactly a shortage of music there ("there", since I am in London as I write) - there is a disproportionate number of musicians about in the surrounding area. But the difference is that there is not a substantial body of like-minded musicians with a common repertoire, or a focus on a particular genre tradition. The two local sessions are, by their very nature, mixed bags (English, French, Welsh, Irish, American, all manner of songs), and it would simply be impolite to try and impose a whole night of Irish music on them. Over time, a small hardcore of Irish music enthusiasts, spread within a 40-mile-or-so radius, has begun to become known to me. We periodically organise little house sessions. But I miss being spoilt for choice, as I was when living in London, or visiting the West of Ireland in summer. There is not the same sense of there being a musical undercurrent that I can tap into at will.

But, as Danny says, "I could live with it if everything else outweighed the music". I cannot confidently say yet whether or not that is the case, but Wales certainly has a lot going for it - I can walk out of my door and into the hills, I can breathe, I can afford to pay the rent, I have the space to do the work I want to do, I have a music shop next door to me, there’s one of the best cheese stalls I’ve ever seen round the corner from me every Saturday, there are plenty of sheep for me to talk to… There are certainly many things I’ve come to dislike about London, which I have tolerated for years, partly for the sake of the music
But, thus far (about 4 months), I have lived without London’s traditional music scene, and I don;t think it’s going to kill me. I still make fairly regular visits - and I live much nearer to Ireland now (I can pick up RTE on LW).

I’m sure Strath’s talking about all exiles spoon.

Just thinking about it again, my old haunt, Bells, used to be wall to wall Irish music with the odd Scots tune thrown in, when I lived in it, but from what I hear there’s more Scottish music being played there these days.
I called in a couple of years back & my Fiddle spent most of the time on my lap - you see I never did get into the STM in a big way so I’d be like a fish out of water if I did go back home!

Dave - I didn’t know you’d moved to Wales. Well done and hope it goes well. Are you near Machynlleth? That’s a trendy new wave kinda town and I’d have thought there’d be some kind of trad scene round there.
I live without sessions mostly any time I’m in Suffolk which is frequent in summer. So yes, if it means sacrificing 3-6 hours tunes a week I’ll go for better quality of life.

Spoon. you’re definitely,exclusive;y included.i was hoping to hear from the Oz brigade ? How ya doing Beebs ?Ptarmy knows me well πŸ™‚

I am in exile in Antrim, far removed from Belfast.

Hey Bliss, I heard about ye getting booted up the Falls .

Does moving from Glasgow to Dundee count? Trust me, with that West coast/East Coast divide I could have moved to Mongolia. Seriously though I do miss the music back in Glasgow and am lookign forward to returning to the sessions around there over Easter but the sessions here in Dundee are not too bad either - just different.

If any of you find yourself in Dundee on a tuesday night pop into the Globe Bar on Hawkhill. It is turning into a really nice session.

I remember there used to be a good session in Broughty Ferry, No Cause, on a Thursday night, I think. Is it still going strong?

Dundee ? I;ll bear that in nind. cheers no cause <thumbs up mate>

Sure we are play ITM: International Traditional Music

err… that should read "all", not "are"

Danny - I’m about 20 miles from Machynlleth. There’s no session there that I know of - I believe there was at one time, but it moved to Aberystwyth, or something like that.

Yep, Strathfoyle, there is a dearth of ITM here, but perhaps in some ways like spoon, there is a quality of life and adventure here not to be found where there might be more likeminded ITM musos and more choice.

I don’t see it so much as an exile, as an adventure.

As a late starter in everything and having never been "in" at anything really, a forever beginner at all I do, this town is bluudy accommodating and gives me life opportunities that just didn’t happen till I came here.

I tG for broadband, the internet, YouTube, MySpace, thesession.org, Geantrai, etc etc and you all for putting up and posting links to these up here, so I can follow links and get to kindda keep up with the craic and community around the world.

Trying to be positive about the fact that the closest cities of any size, Adelaide and Darwin, are both about 30 hour round trips by car away, communications make being here in exile from The Music, less of an exile than it would have been in the past.

Yes Ptarmy - the Broughty Ferry session (in the Fisherman’s) is still going strong. I may be there tonight. It is packed out every week. If only there was room to move!!

The Globe is a recent addition to the sessions in the area. It is starting to develop into a good tunes session the last few weeks and the bonus is there is plenty of space to fit yourself and your instrument.

If anyone is in the area they should pop into both.

Machynlleth trendy! Things must have changed a lot in the Land Of My Fathers.