Martin says it with the music!!

Martin says it with the music!!

I personally think this clip of Martin Donohoe at http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/comhaltaslive_200_4_martin_donohoe/ eloquently addresses a couple of points that have been done to death in recent posts. His newly composed hornpipe shows that a modern tune can also be traditional while the title/dedication is to veteran Cork singer of "An Puc ar Buille" fame, Seán Ó Sé. I rest my case!

Re: Martin says it with the music!!

Sweet! I love it! ~ and his playing of it… So, when can we expect the transcription ‘B’?

I might ask Martin for that - there are a couple of variations there, obviously, and I’d want to make sure that I post the ‘definitive’ version!

Posted by .

Have to agree with ceolachan that Martin’s playing here is, as usual, top class. For anyone who’d like to catch him live in concert, the NYAH festival is not over yet. Tomorrow night (Friday 16 March) sees Martin guesting at an Eve of St Patrick’s Day Celebration at the Ramor Theatre, Viginia, Co.Cavan

The concert includes Clare’s Padraic O’Reilly – Piano and Siobhán O’Donnell (bodhrán/vocals/guitar) plus a host of other great trad performers including veteran Cavan lilter, Séamus Fay; it looks like being a mighty night.

More details are given at http://www.cavancoco.ie/cccws/templates/general/tge_index.aspx?str_ID=66&new_ID=374

"B" all around then, thanks ‘b’ & ‘B’, I look forward to the transcription.

Martin’s hornpipe has a real old fashioned barndance bounce to it, bubbly. I love it. I look forward to the transcription but will catch what I can from the video, inspirational. It is a great dance tune…

Lads I’ve played with Martin for years, he has lots of great new compositions, and if you’re ever in Cavan ask for a visit to his music room, it’s packed to the rafters with great stuff!

Darren

Posted by .

Alright, this was a quick jot, and I’ve left out the ‘>’ for the sake of space ~ but we might as well have a go at it, eh? I have to say, there is the ‘barndance’ about it, but we are dealing with a lad from Cavan and Fremanagh is just over the way from there… There are a few bits of myself that have probably creeped in there. I found I was playing it in C Major following the video, but I’ve transcribed it for D ~

"The Pockar" ~ by Martin Donohue
K: D Major
|: Ac |
d2 (3ABc d2 (3ABc | dBAG FEDF | (3EFG ed cBAc | BA (3^GAB A2 Ac |
d2 (3ABc d2 (3ABc | dBAG FEDF | (3EFG ed cB (3AGF | G<E CE (3DED :|
d/d/d df afbf | afec (3dcB Ad | B2 Bd AFDE |
[1 (3FGF E2 E2 Bc | d/d/d de fdfg | afbf afec | B/B/B Bd AFEG | F<D D2 D2 :|
[2 (3FGF E2 E2 (3ABc | d2 (3ABc d2 (3ABc | dBAG FEDF | (3EFG ed cB (3AGF | G<E (3CDE D2 ||

Thanks Ceolachan, that’s great. No excuses now; will have to try and get it off for St Patrick’s Day!

Careful, I warned you it wasn’t perfect. As ‘b’ says, he has sone fun with it. I like it the way he sometimes lays on the crotchets / quarter notes. Taht is part of what makes it so barndancy, like ending the 4-bar phrases with a dunk dunk, A2 A2, D2 D2, etc… and elsewhere in the melody. Just so you know, with the B-part, he sometimes takes it into ‘agreement’, and I’m going to rought this out for you now, before listening to it again and being carried away by his fine playing, anyway, like so:

B-part simplified and given in agreement ~ bars 1-3 & 5-7
d2 df afbf | afec dBAd | B2 Bd AFDE |[1 (3FGF E2 E2 Bc |
d2 df afbf | afec dBAd | B2 Bd AFEG | F<D D2 D2 :|[2

I should have given that earlier, but just so you know, along those lines, but the possibilities for fun and variation are of course endless… 😉

Thanks all for kind comments ,I have been Nyah busy and only getting to catch up with internet ,It has a nice swing to it and it reminds me of Sean when I play it ,Martin

http://www.cavanmusic.com