Irish Melodeon

Irish Melodeon

I play the one-row melodeon (key : D), mainly the repertoire of my country (Belgium). One of my aims would be to add Irish tunes to my "list". My problem is that many tunes don’ t seem suitable for this type of instrument due to the complexity of Irish music. Yet I have a couple of CD’s at home of Irish musicians playing this type of box.
Could anyone :
- point out to me a number of tunes (jigs, hornpipes reels etc.) that could be suitable to the melodeon, and available on this site,
- get me into touch with musicians who could give me tips about the Irish melodeon.

Jean-Pierre WILMOTTE
rue de Messe 44
B 5170 RIVIERE

jeanpierrewilmotte@hotmail.com

Re: Irish Melodeon

As regards what tunes are suitable, there’s some discussion in this topic: https://thesession.org/discussions/10626

As explained there, you are not restricted to playing in D and Edorian - many tunes in modes based on G and A can be played on the melodeon without missing out any notes. With a bit of creativity, you can manage lots of others tunes too.

Some info on this page: http://www.iol.ie/~ronolan/melodeon.html

You can also see quite a bit of melodeon playing on a program from TG4, the Irish-language channel (don’t worry, there are subtitles and plenty of talking in English):

Open the webTV console at:

http://www.tg4.ie/Bearla/webt/webt.htm

Then click on "Ceol - Cartlann" and find the program "
Ceird an Cheoil - 6/3/2007". Once you get past the weather forecast and the commercials, there are clips of Christly Leahy, Dermot Byrne and Johnny Connolly playing melodeon, and lots more interesting stuff besides.

Steve

I recently met someone who, even if handed a two row, will play the one row. He learned melodeon from his grandmother, he is in his mid-fifties. Plays old style, and was knocking people out with his playing. He plays in C and rarely goes to sessions, lives in Ireland, but hardly anyone knows him…. a few of us intent to get him a bit more "out there" on his next trip to the states, and maybe do a CD. He’s got tunes his granny wrote that no one’s heard too. just slipped through the cracks all these years. He’s a real master of the old style single row playing, one of the best players I and those who heard him have ever heard. Totally amazing.

He’s got eveything transposed by ear into C, but he’d do the same things on a D box. He didn’t have one with him on the last trip over. He’s quite happy apparently. His name is Alan Morrisroe, watch out for him! A CD is in the planning. Whether it sells or not, since he is not a big name, doesn’t matter as much as getting his music out there, it’s amazing.

PS… yes Jeeves…and this fellow played I guess would be A Minor and some other tunings, but other, major ones generally were in C.

Any tune written in two sharps will go on a D one-row melodeon. Many tunes written in one sharp will work provided they don’t have a C natural, or you are able to avoid playing this note, which you will not have on your box. (It’s worth learning how to read music, by the way.)

That was one of the old tricks, the work-arounds, some of the old single row players were up to, avoiding notes they couldn’t play, and that was so on whatever keyed box they had in hand ~ C, D or G being the usual…like with harmonicas… Also though, some would play the wrong note for the tune, such as a C# when the actual tune calls for a C natural…a kind of selective deafness for that particular choice? ~ or lack of choice…

I look forward to that CD irisnevins, don’t forget to let folks know when it comes together and is available…

Ceolachan…. did you get my email?

I hope to get this guy recorded by the end of the year… but a few gigs are being promised…where are you from?

Yes iris-nevins! ~ I will be responding soon… I’ve been having some weirdness with this self-bulid computer again… 😏

jean-pierre-wilmotte ~ because you asked and because your instrument is in D Major, this one was pulled together for you ~

"Aunt May’s / Mary’s Canadian Jig"
Key signature: D Major
Submitted on March 25th 2007 by ceolachan.
https://thesession.org/tunes/7000

It is a fun tune… I hope you enjoy it…