Whats this tune McGoldricks playing in this session?

Whats this tune McGoldricks playing in this session?

I’ve tried to advance search various abc bits of it in the key they’re playing and several others too, and can’t find it here or in google. I already have it in my head from elsewhere, but can’t think what it is!!!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_nc4-xxdMA

Cheers,

j

Posted by .

Re: Whats this tune McGoldricks playing in this session?

That’s the best use of a spoon in a session that I’ve ever seen. :P

Posted by .

Catherine McEvoy once told me that it is a tune called ‘the mystery reel’, so that’s what i call it…

Thanks Jamie for link. It’s great music but I wouldn’t have been able to name the tune. However, in the right hand corner of the frame I noticed a link to Peter Horan and Fred Finn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0CTHmQ2Jus&mode=related&search=) which I duly followed. What playing on a great set of reels - Mulhaire’s, Music in the Glen and McFadden’s! It got me looking for a cassette I had some years ago of the duo playing the "music of Sligo" but without success. I did hear somewhere that Comhaltas may be re-issuing this recording on CD in the not too distant future and if they do, it will definitely be one for the collection.

"That’s the best use of a spoon in a session that I’ve ever seen."

It’s nice to know I’m not useless.

So is that what it is called then? The mystery reel? I thought that was a different two part reel. Anyone have anyother suggestions?

j

Posted by .

I don’t know, this one has thwarted my magical powers. Here are the dots, the order may be wrong. The C part here reminds me of Dan Breen’s / West Clare Reel.

X:1
T:???
M:C|
K:G
~G3E DEGB|dBGB AE~E2|GAGE DEGF|GBdB (3ABA G2|
~G3E DEGB|dBGB AE~E2|GFGE DEGF|GBdB (3ABA G2|]
gede g2ag|egde ge~e2|gede g2ag|egde ~g3a|
gede g2ag|egde ge~e2|~g3e a2ba|geeg b2ag|]
egdB ~A3B|~G3B A2 (3Bcd|e2dB ~A3B|GEDE GA (3Bcd|
egdB ~A3B|~G3B A2 (3Bcd|e2dB AcBA|GEDE GBdc|]
BG~G2 GEDG|BGAB GEDG|EAAG AEGA|(3Bcd ed gedc|
BG~G2 GEDG|BGAB GEDG|EAAG AEGA|(3Bcd ed gedB|]

Your B part is the A part.

OK, thanks Devin. I figured I had only a 1-in-4 chance of correctly guessing the start of the tune. :-)

Aidan,
are you sure that its "Come west along the road?"
I have that, and that Fred Finn clip isn’t on it.
S

Pretty sure. If I have time I’ll check.

Danny

Come West has those green-banded subtitles. Also I recognise the track. My version is an old VHS video.
In answer to the original question, I don’t know the tune name, but when has a topic kept strictly on track on this site?

Danny.

I can’t help with the tune name but I think this clip is from www.kerrywhistles.com/dl.php , Phil Hardy’s site where there are other sets from this session and lots of other piping/whistle clips.

Aidan - Jesus Pingu, what is it???- My come west along the road has not got those green subtitles as many of the youbube links do - thats why I posted it. Its a different dvd -
some one please tell me the DVD with that footage.

PS sorry Jamie.
The link above has links to more of the McGoldrick recordings (although I’d really love to see more links to Fred Finn and Peter horan ;-))

The full set of clips, on Phil’s site are the DWT (Dave Williams Tribute) session clips.

Don’t you mean the C part is the A part?

I’ve always hearf it begun - e2dB A3B etc…

Hugo - I’ll deffo have a look later on. I’ve also got some of The Pure Drop series on video, I wonder if that was it? Pretty sure it was CWATR, though.

D.

Yeah, the C part is first—typo.

McEvoy also said that this was a "franky gavin tune" or something along those lines. Check out the seventh track of gavin’s album ‘fierce traditional’ : https://thesession.org/recordings/display/635

anybody have this CD to solve the mystery once and for all?

Cheers Brendan,

No wonder I had it in my head - I have that album, not my favourite aggresive fiddle style, but sure, thats the right tune:

The Mystery Reel - From the sleeve notes:
"This tune I would like to think I wrote myself! Sadly, not the case. It has baffled the ‘experts’ as to its origin, but it is the type of tune Eddie Maloney would have played as my good friend Joe Burke pointed out to me."

j

Posted by .

My transcription (with the parts in the correct order!) is now posted in the tune database, with the Frankie Gavin setting in the comments.