Michael Johnson fiddle Luthier ?

Michael Johnson fiddle Luthier ?

John McCusker plays a Michael Johnson fiddle. Does anybody know anything about this luthier as I can’t find out anything about him?

Re: Michael Johnson fiddle Luthier ?

info@johnmccusker.demon.co.uk

Here is an email address from John’s website. You could ask him. I am sure he will happily point you in the right direction.

If it’s the same Michael Johnson whom I knew, I’m afraid ‘Big Mick’ is no longer with us, he died abroad in an accident about four years ago now I think.

He was from Liverpool origionally but moved North to Hallbankgate and then to Penrith in Cumbria.

He did a lot of work on concertinas as well as making and repairing fiddles, he played both.

Many’s a session we had.

curlew.

It is the same Mick Johnson, and yes he did sadly die, he was knocked of his bike in Greece. He was a great bloke and he helped me loads over the years that I knew him. There are still lots of his fiddles knocking about - mine is one he reconstructed and someone here in Lancaster has one of his originals. I don’t know how you’d go about finding one now, though I did hear rumours that one of his daughters had gone into making fiddles herself. I can’t find any information on this though.

It was a sad day when he left. I’d say he’s very badly missed.

Posted by .

I met Mick a few times in the 80s, usually at the Newcastleton festival. Was his wife Elaine, who used to play flute ? They were also excellent harmony singers - really strong voices the pair of them. Although our paths hadn’t crossed for years,I was very sad when I heard about Mick’s accident, and have fond memories of some great sessions with him.

Posted by .

Belated reply to this post! I’m Mick’s daughter, Lucy Heron-Johnson. I currently work at Tim Toft Violins in Stone, Staffordshire as a violin restorer. I’d love to hear from anybody who actually has one of my dad’s fiddles. At some point I’d love to photograph as many as I can find so I had a record of his work 🙂

Posted by .

Another belated reply. I’m Elaine, Lucy’s mum. I met Pete Clark this weekend up in Edinburgh and he also plays one of Mick’s fiddles, as does Tom McConville. There are quite a few around but I haven’t seen any come up for sale. Our three daughters either have violin or violas made by him.