The Reel Cabar-féidh

The Reel Cabar-féidh

I am doing a music course and have to submit an assignment on this reel do you know anything about it?

Posted by .

Re: The Reel Cabar-féidh

Check out Rakish Paddy in the Tunes section here, and Scottish music sites for Cabar-feidh: I’d go to Nigel Gatherer’s site (just type the name into the Net and you’ll find it easily) and links therefrom. If you can’t read ABC notation, look up LeSession and do a crash course in it, it’s very useful.
I assume the origins of the tune are Scottish.

From memory, Caber Feidh = Deer’s Antlers.

Definately a Scots tune. Not sure I could write a whole assignment on it, though…

Just checked out the Rakish Paddy entry. I’m pretty sure this isn’t the tune I used to know as Caber Feidh - I’ve leant the book I had it in to a mate, so I’ll have to give him a call and get him to transpose it for me (and give him a hint about how long he’s had the book…). If it’s different I’ll ABC it and post it in the tunes section.

I play that. It’s that tune that’s basically like the New Copperplate with the parts reversed in a different key. Too drunk to look it up but off the top of my head it goes |c3B c2GB|cGAF GEEG|D.. and then the B-part’s like the copperplate C2GC ECGC|C2GF ECCE|D.. but maybe it’s the octave above - would have ot check.

When you write your assignment, go on about how the tune has Scottish origins, and spawned a whole load of Irish variants in different keys and different modes. Talk about how the F sharpened itself and made the tune into Rakish Paddy, and then how it accumulated parts. And also about the Copperplate tunes.

Its one of the standard bagpipe tunes…. one that all the pipe bands play, and yes its scottish.

Best bet is to contact the Piping Centre in Glasgow, or the Piping College, also in Glasgow, and email them and see if they can help with you roots/history of the tune.

You should also try and get yourself a copy of the actual pipe setting of the tune…with the grace notes in it….could be interesting to compare it to rakish paddy….the places in glasgow should be able to help you get a copy of the pipe music.

I remember reading somewhere - don’t ask me where - that it started out as a march. This seems plausible enough - although it seems equally plausible that it was a dance tune that got conscripted. Anyway, the chances are, its true origins are in some very old song, from before reels were invented

Incidentally, Cabar Feidh also exists in the Highland piping repertoire as a several-part jig - I found it among the amassed tunes of a piping friend in Lanarkshire. I don’t remember seeing any arranger creditied, however, I rather suspect that it is a C19th or C20th arrangement. The final phrase in each part goes something like this:

M: 6/8
K: Amix
L:1/8
A2B c2d | eaa a2e | gaa eff | cAA A3||

It’s only a phrase - and probably an inaccurate transcription, but it gives you some idea of how the tune scans out over the bars.

It’s was one of the regimental tunes of the "Queen’s Own Highlanders" . I think the original version is as a reel. I have recordings of a quartet of pipers from the regiment playing it as a 2/4 march, strathspey, reel and jig.
P.M. Donald McLeod, who was a Pipe Major with the "Queen’s Own" recorded it as the first track - as march, strathspey and reel - on the double album of piping he recorded in New york in 1967. He recorded an entire double album in 1 take, allegedly.
The Regimental Toast mentions is "Cabar Feidh Gu Brath" - "The Deer’s Horns For Ever !" I’ll post the whole of it in the next few days - bit busy a the moment.

Posted by .

From the sleeve-notes of “The Piper’s Day” CD by the 1st battalion “The Queen’s Own Highlanders” Pipes and Drums :

“Cabar Feidh [ the antlers of the stag ], has been the coat of arms of the Mackenzies of Seaforth since the 13th century. The tune of that name, which has been played in the regiment from its earliest days, is one of the most stirring of Highland tunes. In the late 18th century, the Earl of Seaforth’s Highland Regiment used Cabar Feidh as the regimental charge. When duty tunes became established in the 19th century, it became a duty tune in the Seaforth Highlanders. In the “Queen’s Own Highlanders” , it remains one of the most prominent Regimental marches. It is played here in March,Strathspey, Reel and Jig time.”

Posted by .

This comes from “Bain’s Directory of Bag-Pipe Tunes”, by Harry Bain, published in 1983 :

“Caber Feidh” - Composed by Norman MacLeod, a native of Assynt, Sutherlandshire. The Earl of Sutherland gave a commission to William Munro of Achany who with a large body of men swooped on Assynt and made off with much plunder. This angered MacLeod so much it caused him to compose the tune and song which became the clan-song of the MacKenzies.”

I don’t know the source of this information, nor anything about the song mentioned, but will try to find out more.

Posted by .