What is the fiddle

What is the fiddle

In an essay what would u say about the fiddle

Posted by .

Re: What is the fiddle

Is this a project you’ve been assigned for school or college?
I suggest you try Wikipedia as your first port of call for a general overview (violins are fairly non-controversial, so Wikipedia should be reliable in this instance).

An ‘essay’, damn you are asking a lot. The term ‘fiddle’ applies to a number of related instruments. I can only say, keeping is short, I’ve never heard a fiddling tradition where there wasn’t something to be found I liked. I do tend more toward old time than blue grass though, and prefer the Canadian Maritimes take on Scottish to the overly trained classical bent of some folks who play Scottish on the ‘violin’… So, mostly, for me, the bow and fiddle are a welcomed joy and a beauty to behold…

On yeah, almost forgot to include the Shetlands along with the Maritimes as my preferred take on things Scottish…

A curse, an obssession, a seductress, a cliche, an overpriced piece of kindling, a taskmaster, a tease…

A blessing, a release, a faithful companion, an ever-changing personality, a priceless work of art, an improver of character, a reward for hard work….

A fantasy, an excuse for not dealing with the real world. And a sure-fire real-world lie detector (if I’m fooling myself about how well I play).

I could go on. ;>}

Fiddles are feline; Uilleann pipes are definitely geese; English concertinas are hedgehogs…this has set me off…!

And a two-and-a-half-row DG Saltarelle melodeon is a greased pig… 😉

It sure is.

"What is the fiddle"

…A dangerous weapon in the wrong hands 🙂))

Posted by .

I need information which is appropriate for a school assignment could u please help I have used Wixapedia but need more

Posted by .

I would say this thread is a bit of a fiddle, Do your own assignments!

another name for a violin

Posted .

Erm. Your’re going to need something real you can cite for a school assignment. Generally encyclopedias (of which wiki is one) and internet forums aren’t going to be considered credible or detailed enough. I suggest real, actual, books for a start.

It’s the devil’s instrument for sure…. obsessive as HELL.
Sure sounds pretty, though.

A fiddle is a musical instrument that is often played to the distress of players of fixed-pitch instruments, such as harmonicas for example, by dint of the fact that many players of the stringed thing in question take at least an hour to find good intonation in a session and often add insult to injury by asking the harmonica player to "give them an A." Players of fiddles have the huge advantage of having their axe very close to their ear, which means they hear everything they’re playing themselves and nothing of what anyone else is playing on the fiddle side of their body. This, naturally, is not much of an advantage (to say the least) to around half the sessioneers if the fiddle player is sitting in the middle. And never strike up a conversation about the fiddle player’s bow. This will inevitably result in even more distress all round and will make you feel very humble about the paltry amount you paid for YOUR instrument. In spite of all this, the fiddle is capable of producing some of the most sublime of sounds in ITM. In this it can be surpassed only by the harmonica and the bodhran. Hope this helps.

I reiterate reenactor’s post. Most internet sources, unless they are something along the lines of an online but academic, peer-reviewed journal, are not credible sources.

If you’re somewhat of a lazy student (most of us are), you can locate many relevant books online and only then need you go to a library. Most Wikipedia entries have a bibliography. Also, google scholar or google books might offer you a few sources about the history, mechanics, or whatever you are looking for regarding fiddles/violins. Also, run a keyword search through the database of your university and/or local library.

If you are at a school or university with an online subscription to various academic journals, then you can use the internet directly.

Oh—-

If you seriously want some help, you should give us some more information. I doubt your teacher gave you an assignment about "what is a fiddle". What’s the context? What have you been studying so far and how does the fiddle fit into that? What grade are you in? How old are you? What was the actual assignment? What research have you done so far?

Sorry to answer a question with lots of questions, but you’ll see that it will help you narrow down your question so that you can find specific answers.

Actually, your question has me wondering: why do we call it "the fiddle", as in "I play the fiddle," when there’s clearly more than just the one? I went to a session and there were three people playing the fiddle. Their arms got all tangled up and we had to pry them apart.

lol

You need to sell your soul to get anywhere with it!😉

A fiddle is when you get someone else to do your assignment for you !
Have you not advanced googled; "Folk fiddle", "traditional fiddle", "famous fiddlers", etc…?
Oh, dammit, there I go, doing your assignment for you….
Fiddle-de-dee !

"why do we call it "the fiddle", as in "I play the fiddle," when there’s clearly more than just the one?"

This is too easy. The obvious answer is that they all sound the same.

Posted by .

Once, early in my fiddling experience, I was playing an old-timey type thing. I noticed that the fiddle seemed to be talking to me………….. saying "fiddle fiddle fiddle …."
I know…………….. Wierd!
It hasn’t happened since.

Don’t tell me I’m crazy, OK? ….I’m sensitive about that sort of thing.

Just thought I’d ask; anyone else had an abusive email from the original poster, unthanking them for their help ?
It’s a good thing they didn’t put any biographical or geographical details when they logged in !

No, but I want one! What do I have to write to get an abusive e-mail? Please tell me because, um, my teacher gave me this assignment which is like, um "What is an abusive email?" and I can’t write anything until I actually get one myself to analyse properly.

Re: What is an abusive email?

Surely you out of anyone would know an abusive email when it appeared in your inbox, Dow!!!