Session Size.

Session Size.

Since i’ve spent most of my time on this board taking the p**s. I thought I would post a serious question ๐Ÿ™‚. Over the last few days i’ve had some mighty tunes in both Sydney and Melbourne. Two sessions in particular one that contained 3 people including myself, and the other that had about 10 players. Both were savage sessions with great tunes, great energy and really on form playing from all concerned. Given the difference in size it got me thinking. What would most of you say is the optimum size for a session?

P.S. This thread is proudly brough to you by Bored At Work Pty Ltd :P

Re: Session Size.

A’ight LITE - I reckon 3 to 5 players, no bigger- so then you can have a good balance of tunes/backing.

I usually tend to play with anywhere from 1 to 5 other people and I think the size is perfect at any of those sizes (2-6). I think 5-6 is my perfect session. I used to go to a session that could get totally carried away, 15, even 20 people and it was just too big. One side of the group can’t hear the other and it gets rather muddy.

Exactly, and you can just have lovely personal moments in a smaller session where you suddenly connect with the person next to you and totally crank it up.

For a beginner like me? 25, minimum. I reckon that "one side of the group can’t hear the other" is what keeps me in the good graces of the folks on the other side of the group.

El sneetcho you wouldn’t be referring to the sponatneous various jinx in the corkman by chance?? ๐Ÿ™‚

Crank it up lads. Looks like the melb/syd/goulburn treck is gonna work out!! Put in my leave forms today.

Cross ye fingers for me.

oh wait that didn’t work- damn I don’t know how to use computers!

3-6

Ay, late in the evening - I just got me cds of the nash from SamW! How exciting!!! If you see this- thanks Sam! good on ya and I’ll see you if you come to goulburn.

what CDs?!? I wnat CDs!!!

I always miss out…

Heya Lateness, T’was mighty having ye here! I’m still holed-up with the flu, chucking a sickie and just managed to drag meself to the ‘puter…

There’s no doubt about it, the smaller the better. 3-6 is the best guide i reckon.

BUT arn’t you forgetting that one of the sessions you quote (the one i was at) as having three members ACTUALLY had four?!

P.S. Is the spirit of recent thesession-ing, you all suck and i rool.

err, i mean i *want* CDs… "wnat"-ing CDs just sounds saucy rude

They a present, SirNose, a gift. Ahhh, takes me right back. Actually judging from the quality of my playing on the Thurs night cd I’d say it’d take me right back to too many beers.

Benno I was counting "musicians" present at that session. oooohhhhh burn!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ By the way i’ll be back down on the 30th of May for Mandy’s record launch. Then road tripping up to Goulburn with the twinnies. Must drop in on you and the D-man again while i’m there.

we’ll have two dozen and more, for sure

Personally, I don’t mind how big the session is as long I can still hear myself playing. :-0

๐Ÿ™‚

I have had fun with as few as three (but only two becomes work), and up to 7-9 (even up to 12 with the right instruments and folks involved) is still workable. More than that, and you might as well join an orchestra!

I can remember a number of great occasions when there were only two of us…………..

Yes, two is often magic. A musical communion.

Posted .

anywhere from 3-6 is ideal -having said that - I would not snub those big mighty sessions we had at the national this year - eh Sneetch, Sirnose, Dow!

Posted by .

Size doesn’t matter!! What’s the difference between a session with three piano accordions and one with twelve? Piano accordionists please don’t take offence at this question as any instrument could have been mentioned in the same context! It’s mainly a question of balance between instruments at the session and the musicality of the players that determines its quality. Any size of session with good musicians will work. However, if you have an indifferent player, the small session will be a disaster but you may get away with it in a bigger grouping where the offending individual can be masked.

i have a bi-weekly session at my house, which consists of 2 to 5 people. that’s the way i like. l love playing in duos and trios, with everyone on the melody, no guitars no strummin.

My session size varies according to the seating arrangements. When I’m jammed in between two vigorous fiddlers, I bunch up and get thinner. When I’m playing the box with plenty of room on either side, I get wider.

The ideal session size is one where there’s someone to start up a new tune whenever things start to flag. You can’t quantify that number, it’s just what works on the night.