Top Trad Whistle CDs

Top Trad Whistle CDs

I’m looking for some CD suggestions for traditional Irish Music predominately played on whistle. Not Celtic/New Age, but Trad. Thanks in advance.

Re: Top Trad Whistle CDs

Sean Ryan - Take The Air
Mary Bergin - Feadoga Stain

You won’t go far wrong with those …

Laurence Nugent - best whistle playing I’ve heard.

Also check out Gavin Whelan

Laurence Nugent - fantastic. His early CD "Traditional Irish Music on flute and whistle" has possibly the worst cover ever, but the CD is great. All his CDs are great. Joanie Madden - Whsitle on the Wind. Mary Bergin Feadoga Stain 2 is OK as well. Try CDs with Claire Mann on whistle too.

I’d second Gavin Whelan- ace playing.

Does Flook count? Great whistle playing by Brian Finnegan, but hardly any trad tunes; still….great style.

Gavin Whelan’s two are great

As well as some others mentioned, Vinnie Kilduff’s "The Boys from Blue Hill " on Mulligan, issued 1990 is v. good, I think. A range of treatments, and great mastery of the sound.

Angela Deane - Cuisle (Co. Mayo)

This whistle recording came out in 2005 and is WAY under the radar as far as I am concerned. I just submitted it to ‘The Session’ last week so you can read my comments here.

https://thesession.org/recordings/display/2532

The sound is very traditional, played mostly on a Generation Eb whistle with 2 tracks on D flute.

Every single tune on this recording, with the exception of the Air and one gaelic named reel, were already in ‘The Session’s’ data base. All the tunes are commonly accepted traditional tunes.

She even plays some of the "big" classic reels; The Graf Spee, The Bucks of Oranmore, Jenny’s Welcome to Charlie & The Jolly Tinker.

So this a perfect CD to recommend for those seeking repertoire as well as hearing an excellent example of traditional whistle.

Posted by .

Larry Nugent for sure. Another very nice whistle CD is Vinnie Kilduff’s ‘boys of bluehill’

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. I’ll be picking up some new CDs indeed.- Mike

Michael Dwyer

Cormac Breathnac

Carmel Gunning’s first recording "The Lakes of Sligo."

Agree with G Whelan, M Bergin, L Nugent, Brid O and Josie McD

I’d add: Micho Russell, Colm O’Donnell (flute player, but lovely whistler), Liam O’Flynn is a class whistle player, Scottish singer Julie Fowlis is fantastic, Mick O’Brien, Joannie Madden, Cora, Breda & Sean Smyth great too,

My goodness - this is an old thread to be rescued!