Camping in Miltown Malbay Willie Clancy School 2007

Camping in Miltown Malbay Willie Clancy School 2007

Hi, I have not been to the Willie Clancy School for a few years but have decided to return to improve the fiddle. I am trying to decide whether to camp or try to share rooms - could anyone advise about shower facilities when camping and on the present availability for camping ?

Many thanks

Fi fi

Posted by .

Re: Camping in Miltown Malbay Willie Clancy School 2007

last year i camped down in the sand dunes and used the swimming pool for showers etc-worked out fine-no hassle with the tent or tents around mine-the only thing is the need of a car to travel to the swimming pool

There’s a camp site at Spanish Point which is quite good. It’s much quieter than the one in town, which is excellent if you enjoy falling asleep to the soothing whisper of djembes and bongos. Not sure what the deal is regarding showers…

If you’re plumping for Spanish Point, set up early as it’s popular.

I camped on the beach at Spanish Point, only tent there. Mind you, that was 1974, you could safely camp on any beach then.

Showers hadn’t been invented, that’s why they had the Atlantic ocean there. I think it is still there.

Naw they concreted over that years ago. It’s a Penney’s now.

I camped at Spanish Point in 2005 and our (borrowed) tent was slashed open with a knife or something, don’t know why cos it wasn’t locked, and our bags were taken out. Quite traumatic- luckily it was only clothes so they dumped them further down the dunes, but I had left my iPod and about a thousand bucks worth of whistles in the tent- pretty stupid on my part- but they musn’t have seen them. But I hafta say, I wouldn’t camp again!

Also meant to mention, a few other tents were robbed as well, I think they might’ve gone through the entire camp ground- don’t mean to paint a bleak picture but it was pretty full on.

Damn, I wish I’d noticed your ipod.

I remeber that sneetch - that was awful. Not the first time Ive seen it happened though -something similar happened in 2001 or 2002 - I forget but there was a knife/argument/tent slashing incident in the field were this farmer charged us 20euro a night to camp with 1 toilet and no shower between a hundered or so people. Have to say - thought the fight would end in blood…..thankfully it didnt. But then *we* got accussed as being the fighters by the farmer because apparently they had funny accents and so did we. Its weird he couldnt tell the differences between Australian and the Dublin versus American fight that it actually was! I would never camp again either!

Posted by .

Camped out at Spanish Point last couple of years in the campsite - is it Lahiff’s? Fine, no probs .. plenty of space in big field attached to caravan park. Toilet/ shower facilities are basic but adequate. And of course, the Atlantic rollers are just down the road. I think fiddle classes (some of anyway) were based in Spanish Point, few minutes walk from campsite. His prices have gone up a bit in recent years .. cashing in on the demand, I suppose. Don’t mind paying a fair fee but would like to see a bit more investment as a result in facilities there!

Posted .

The first time I went, in 1999 we camped in the campground next to the caravan park. My tent still smells like cow poo…

well maybe you were kinda p*ssed when you pitched the yoke 🙂

Posted .

Sounds sh1thouse, I think I’ll stick with the Aussie festivals.

Hi all,

Thanks for all your helpful information. Fab. Amazed at how many people are reading this site. It sounds as if Lahiff’s was fine, but I’ll also check out the travelotica guide and Lonely .Planet.

Fi fi

Posted by .

Is there anyone going over this year who fancies sharing a car from Liverpool.
Cheers
Ged