What if the Beatles were Irish?

Re: What if the Beatles were Irish?

I assumed they all were, except Harrison - ancestrally, anyway.

The Bob Spitzer Beatles bio from a few years ago gets into the Irish backgrounds of all but George. And isn’t Liverpool’s nickname "The Capital of Ireland" anyhoo?

A litle known story about The Beatles.John Lennon once ordered a set of Uillean pipes and was going to take lessons from Francis McPeake but other things (mainly LSD) intervened.Pity really,I can easily imagine the pipes in the mix of Strawberry Fields Forever.
http://74.52.77.196/dok/who/m/mcpeakes.html

That’s pretty darned funny. Good find!

Posted by .

I’m sure I mentioned that before; can’t find the thread, though. Francie still plays the set that Lennon ordered from Kennedy.

Paddy Keenan told me when he was living in London in the late 60s he was tuning up his pipes in Hyde Park and it attracted a small crowd. A woman approached him who said she worked with the Beatles and that they were looking for interesting instruments for an up-coming recording (White Album) and would be very interested in meeting with him. She gave Paddy her card but he never followed up on it.

Lezz not forget Paul’s Irish grandfather from ‘A Hard Day’s Night’—singing ‘A Nation Once Again’ as the police hauled him in…

George Harrison’s grandparents were from Wexford.

The U-Tube should be entitled "What if the Beatles were a crap "Irish pub" singer?". Very clever though and funny.

Posted by .

Oh, and his father’s side were from Sligo

Posted by .

They must be related to Charlie Lennon, Vincent Harrison, Ringo McDonagh & Alan McCartney. Sorry, I didn’t find the clip very funny. Well done but predictable. However I’ve often thought there was a strong Irish thread running through a fair bit of their music

I believe it was only Ringo who had no Irish ancestry.

Y’know, when you play "I Am the Walrus" backwards, it sounds exactly like a slow "Rakish Paddy". Coincidence? Ask the imposter who’s pretended to be Paul since 1968.

Oh!
I WISH Paddy K. had played on the white album!
I would have discovered TIM much sooner.

But if you play "Rakish Paddy" backwards, does it say "John is dead"?

What was John Lennons’ last hit?
(Answer without using the phrase "the pavement")

(Just Like) Starting Over?

James Brown’s last words. I DON’T FEEL GOOD!

Papa’s got a brand new (body) bag?

What if Zimmerman were Jewish?

"Oy! The times, they are a-changing, already."

"They must be related to Charlie Lennon, Vincent Harrison, Ringo McDonagh & Alan McCartney. Sorry, I didn’t find the clip very funny. Well done but predictable. However I’ve often thought there was a strong Irish thread running through a fair bit of their music"

I’m not sure about the Ringo connection. I’m obviously smaller-minded than you, Danny, as I was quite entertained by it - although the joke did wear a bit thin round about Blue Jay Way. One-dimensional as this man’s portrayal of Irish music is, I don’t think it is any coincidence that so many of The Beatles’ songs seem fit so naturally into that mould. They were, after all 75% Irish and even though none of them was born in Ireland, growing up in Liverpool no doubt helped to perpetuate their Irishness.

Interesting fact: Whether or not there is any real family connection there, Charlie Lennon was studying at Liverpool University and playing with the Liverpool Ceili Band just about the same time that John Lennon was rising to fame with the Beatles.

Another interesting fact: Paul McCartney’s cousin was the crossword setter for the Daily Telegraph.

Another interesting fact: Ringo Starr’s cousin is a taxi-driver in Liverpool.

Nah not small minded, David. Just me being a grumpy ole git. I happen to like both the Beatles, and Irish music, and I feel it if they get messed about. As I say, just Mr Forest Grump.

"I happen to like both the Beatles, and Irish music"

Yeah, so why not just combine the two? Kill two tunes with bodhran?

…Kill two tunes with *one* bodhran

What if the Beatles WEREN’T Irish? Then they’d have been like four Noel Cowards, writing sniffy pithy little ditties.

De Dannan’s version of "Hey Jude".

Like them or not, it’s no coincidence that forceful and unapologetically melodic songs found their way back into the UK pop mainstream via two brothers named Gallagher

Posted by .

Woa there!

Just WHICH song was the MELODIC Oasis song?

Not to mention the fact that the dirge-like snippets (as opposed to actual tunes) they did have were all nicked anyway.

And what’s this coincidence you refer to? The fact that both brothers were named Gallagher?

Only just watched the clip. God, it was funny!

Lur-ved Revolution No 9 …

The Gallagher brothers are unapologetic, sure; but moderate exposure to their hits has failed to convince me they are melodic.

Right around the time of his death I heard an interview with Micheal O Domhnaill where he talked about his influences and activities just prior to joining the Bothy Band. He mentioned how he was a big fan of the Beatles and how he and his sisters would sit around singing Beatles tunes. So I think it would be safe to say that through Micheal O Domhnaill the Beatles did have an impact on Irish trad.

When I first fell in love with Planxty’s music I would often wonder how much influence the Beatles might have had on their arrangement ideas, musical texture, etc. But I have yet to find any evidence as I did from listening to that interview with Micheal O Domhnaill.

At the end of their third album "Cold Blow And The Rainy Night", the powerful and gloomy song "The Green Fields Of Canada" is not unlike "A day In The Life" in its effect; and the album’s predominantly dark blue cover seems to me to tally with its overall mood.

I rather suspect Johnny Moynahan of being the fifth Beatle.

Hey you got to hide your love away.
For me I am not Irish, but I feel like the movement of this song is similar to Irish folk.

Just about every guitarist involved in Irish folk when the revival really took off must have been influenced by the Beatles, because every apprentice guitarnik in Ireland or Britain who was at all a generalist spent much of the time between 1963 and 1970 - and indeed afterwards - boning up on their songs. And there was a song for practically every mood, speed and style such a learner might favour.

It’s a whole lot harder to say if any Beatles’ song resembles at all convincingly anything in Irish trad. I can’t think of one offhand but will try to do so as I nod off to sleep tonight. I find the Beatles story a very strange one in various ways, including the way their massive combined talent for melody and arrangement seems to have come out of nowhere, owing little to the 50s+ rock and roll etc. they cut their teeth on, and ostensibly at any rate little to the music of their Irish forebears.

What if all music was the same?