Best Places to Busk on the English South Coast?

Best Places to Busk on the English South Coast?

I planning to do some busking this summer. Can anyone suggest any resorts on the south coast which I could try out?

Re: Best Places to Busk on the English South Coast?

Brighton sems a good bet as it has lots of tourists and small narrow streets without traffic

In the early Nineties I lived in Canterbury and occasionally busked there.
I don’t know if busking there is regulated or prohibited there now, it wasn’t then. As it’s a tourist trap whose main street is / was pedestrianised, it was an ideal place to busk. Canterbury isn’t *on* the coast, but is in easy reach of it.

Winchester - also not quite on the coast, but I had a good day’s busking there in May 2005, despite the rain.

If you’re willing to hop over the channel, Dieppe is a nice town for the quiet busker.

Dover, Hastings, Eastbourne, Poole, Swanage, Weymouth, Lyme Regis… take your pick.

I played in Poole and got ignored. That’s the worst thing. I’d rather play to an empty street than be ignored. It’s better to get laughed at or looked at funny - even sworn or spat at - than be ignored. Playing music takes a lot of energy, and you need to get it back from somewhere.

Tenby on the Welsh coast
We mised our ferry to Ireland and having no English money and nine hours to kill we ended up busking in Tenby. we made about £100 in 3 hours and got free fish and chips and an Invite to play outside the tatoo parlour any time we were in town again, it is the hen and stag capital of wales so be prepared for boisterous drunks but I think the drink makes them very generous! good craic!

Tenby is a very long way from the English South Coast, noodlebean. But whilst we’re on Wales, I’ve done some quite successful busking in Bangor. Carnarvon and Lampeter. I’ve done a bit in Newtown as well, and once even in Llanidloes - but that was before I lived there.

According to Laurie Lee ( but this was the ‘30s’ ) don’t try it in Chichester.

There are summer folk festivals at Broadstairs (Kent) and Sidmouth (Devon) which I assume have websites for details.

Noodlebean , Whoo . . ppee . . I like the sound of Tenby . . never been there . . but I’ve heard its a OK place, the girls/fish and chips (in that order!)

I’m a bit of a p*ss artist myself so I’ll be in good company. £100 /3 hours sounds too good to be true.

You’ve made my mind up . . I’m off in a couple of weeks . . and anyway its closer than Cornwall. Think I’ll do an internet Tenby search and get a few more details about the place.

Thanks a bunch.

Will you promise to write and tell us if you beat noodlebean’s takings of 100 quid in the first 3 hours?

(noodlebean’s real name is Frankie Gavin, by the way)