small piano accordions

small piano accordions

Anybody out there play a two octave PA?

i have been playing itm for a long time and am now trying it on this weebox. ..i would love to talk about this

I scrolled thru the discussions but would rather speak contemporarily than add onto an old discussion

Re: small piano accordions

I recently got hold of two - a two octave and a two-and-a-half. I find the two octave nice and light, but get so annoyed by not having the low A and B that I don’t often play it.

In the music business accordions are usualy refered to ( 26/12 @ aprox £145 new) 26 treble & 12 bass the smallest USEFUL size. The next would be 26/48 ( aprox £175 ) followed by 30/24 ( £180 apr ) & 34/72 ( £250 apr. ). The 25/12 is regarded by most teachers as a waste of money as well as time

I’m lusting for this one:
http://www.accordions.co.uk/Newinstviewdocs.htm/Fan0GBSp.htm

It goes down to low G and up to high C. I think it covers the range of ITM pretty well.

If you play bass, the 72 bass layout is complete and you can specify the top button to be C# which works fine for me.

The weight is another great feature. At about 12 3/4 pounds, (5.8kg), it’s just about half the weight of my full size.

Saving my pennies.

I play a 34/72 Fantini with handmade reeds. The action on these accordions is excellent ant they are very durable. You can play anythingon the a 30 treble keyboard although you may have to arrange a little differently with the reduced top end.

Brian

I have a two octave, single reed PA, the first accordion I ever bought, back I think it is about 40 years old. My wife nicknamed it Wheezy because its bellows are far from tight, and not all the notes sound true. If I could find a new one, I would buy it, because it has a nice clean sound, is light and easy to handle, and easy to play. And PAs are nice for accompanying song, they can do nice chordy things that our button boxes cannot.

Rog, that’s the very one I’ve got.
Goodness, the price has jumped up a bit!

I’m not a PAist, but I would strongly advise anyone not to go for anything with a range of less than G, (below middle C) to c’ (two octaves above middle C) - the range of the fiddle in 1st position. Otherwise, like rogfox, you’ll get very frustrated at not having enough range to play all the tunes. Jumping octaves isn’t as natural on accordion as it would be on, say whistle or flute.

If you have a thumb it would be best to use it.

I have a small piano accordion, with slightly more keys than yours and 24 basses. I’ve had it since I was a teenager. It is little more than a toy really, but it’s nice to play ITM on, it sounds more like a concertina than an accordion.

Posted .

After some research, I’ve found that my PA seems to be a nice beginner model. But it has a drawback for ITM: the piano side ranges from A3 to G5, while the standard in that size is from C4 to C6. This implies that tunes in D and G need a lot of rearrangement for the high A’s and B’s.
As I play alone, I see two options:
- Transposing D tunes to A, and G tunes to D.
- Transposing D tunes to C, and G tunes to F, and rearranging a few high A’s.
What do you think I should do? Keep in mind that I’m not going to buy another bellows-y thing in a looot of time.

Learn the tunes in the right keys, either play the single notes an octave lower or the whole phrase depending if it goofs up the melody too much to just drop a single note. You’ll also find some quick go-to harmonies which will work around a lot of the common phrases.

Similar to what flutes/pipes/whistles need to do with tunes that drop below D. Although their are plenty enough lazy players that just transpose many A tunes to G, it’s nice to have those bright tunes in the key of A.