Any Information about Conal O Grada

Any Information about Conal O Grada

Top of Coom is, as has been frequently noted here, a must have flute album, without a doubt. I’ve only recently had the pleasure of getting a hold of it and listening to it.
I believe it is the only album Conal O Grada has made. As well as that, there is a distinct dearth of information about the man. A Google search revealed merely an endless array of online stores wanting to sell me Top of Coom, but nothing about yer man. Even on here, he is mentioned just a few times, the Scoiltrad links don’t work any more and the “Dose anyone like Bodhrans?” thread merely mentions him in passing - as it does just about every other topic in the universe, anyway.
Anyone have specific info about CoG? Just curious really.

Re: Any Information about Conal O Grada

Not quite a CD, but we have a copy here of the Scoiltrad CDROM , Learn to play Tin Whistle featuring Conal.

Posted .

We’re leading parallel lives, Key. I only acquired this album in the last week or so, and I also think it’s fantastic. So full of energy!

Conal also plays on Colm Murphys Cd(an Bodhran) which is another great cd

Posted by .

The top of coom has the highest pub in ireland

Posted by .

Kenny would know. He kindly supplied me with a recent live recording of Mr. O’Grada.

I’ve had ToC for a couple of years or more. Mighty stuff!
Scoiltrad folded some time ago (also two or three years, I think). I had a couple of lessons, but never got much feedback as that was about the time ST was folding. People said they got terriffic feedback from Conal and the other tutors, but that may have been the problem in the end - I suspect the lads may have underestimated the time it would all take.
I’ve only actually seen him once in real life, but he was not playing, just in the pub with other ITM luminaries in Ballyvourney at a weekend of workshops etc.
He was one of the teachers at the flute bash that Hammy Hamilton organized down there in the Gaeltacht last (northern hemisphere) spring. The whole thing was intensely annoying for me as I’d only just left the area a few months before to take up antipodean life, so I missed it. There is a clip on youtube somewhere - somebody posted the link here a few weeks ago, and you can see Conal amongst the other flute stars.

Posted by .

I took a flute workshop from him in Philly around 2001 or 2002 when he was on tour of sorts with the guys from Scoiltrad. Very nice guy as you might imagine. If I recall correctly the flute he was playing was actually in bad shape (taped together at points), but he still got an amazing sound out of it. He then did a concert with the guys from Scoiltrad. Haven’t listened to the recording from the concert in a while, but all I really remember is him commenting how he loves the sound of a flute and a bodhran together. This makes sense given his solo CD and the tracks he does on the Colm Murphy CD. That’s about as specific as I can get without going back to the tapes from the workshop and concert and seeing if he gives any more information.

Hi,

Conal is one of the performers at the Kennedy Center archives video. You’ll need to look back pretty far to find it (on the Millennieum Stage.

shaskeen

He’s also on the Kevin Burke-Jackie Daly album called “the Eavesdropper” on 3 tracks.

Posted by .

Conal also has another album called Cnoc Buí. It’s a mighty CD.

Conal is one of the Raw Bar Collective trio - their CD (recorded live) is brilliant.
http://www.rawbarcollective.com/home.html

Edit to add: Just realised that this is a long-dead thread resurrected.