Preserving Traditional/ Folk Music

Preserving Traditional/ Folk Music

Greetings-
I’m doing a research paper (5 pages) on preserving folk/trad music. Does anyone have any good info, or sites they could offer? That’d be great! Happy music making!
Cheers,

Re: Preserving Traditional/ Folk Music

Go to Google and simply type in Irish Traditional Music and you will find loads of useful sites in the first couple of pages.

Here is the best thing I’ve read recently about preserving Traditional Music. It was in a letter from Attilla the Stockbroker in today’s Guardian …

OFF LICENCE!
(for Kim Howells)
Rupert Murdoch, that’s your "culture"
Tellytubby corporate state
Widescreen god won’t need a licence -
He got you elected, mate!
Thousand Morris dancers whining
With petitions so polite
Some of us aren’t whingeing folkies
And you’ve got yourself a fight!
Sky TV New Labour Tory
Mainstream dullard business bores
So come on, arrest Attila -
Cos I’ll flout your stupid laws!
Poems and songs don’t need a licence.
Never have and never will.
I’m here in your face, Kim Howells -
Tearing up your licence bill!
Attila the Stockbroker
Southwick, W Sussex

For those few out there who don’t know who Attilla the Stockbroker is, he was one of the original ‘Ranting Poets’. I first saw him at Brabant Road Trades Union Centre, Wood Green back in the 70s. And as well as declaiming hiS highly entertaining poetry, he played a mandola, which I’d never seen before. He called it Nelson Mandola, which we thought was pretty cool…

What’s thesession.org for?

I don’t know about Atilla, a mild, bumbling aquaintance of mine answers to the name Conan (the librarian).

Then there’s Bing Hitler, a Scottish comedian. Don’t ask me what he’s like - I haven’t a clue, but the name stuck.

I’m just a bit curious about the title of your paper/essay, ie "PRESERVING traditional/folk music". If you don’t mind me saying, but to be brutally frank, it doesn’t need "preserving". The popularity of This website bears testimony to the fact that The Music is a living cultural entity (I nearly said art form - pretentious? moi?) with a healthy future. New tunes are being composed all the time. Every time someone wheels out a tune from one of the collections, eg O’Niells, and gives it an airing, they are bringing the tune to life again (potentially, anyway - I’ve heard some tunes being cruelly murdered - an awful sound and a terrible way to go.)

Perhaps the slant of your paper (I don’t know how rigidly you must stick to whatever guidelines you’ve been given) could be something along the lines of whether this tradition in fact requires any preserving, arguing the pros and cons of the debate, and in the process, documenting with examples of our Music, compared to more contemporary musical phenomena, eg Kylie Minogue, and ask, in 150 years time, will people be sitting round in hypertechnobars on Mars, playing her music at sessions, and fretting over whether they’re preserving it or that Kylie’s music is a living tradition….

All highly speculative, of course.

Anyway, if a few more of us made enough sufficiently controversial and provocative remarks on this string to generate an adequately informed debate, perhaps you wouldn’t have to go trawling round all those sites to get what you need.

However, I got to split. There’s something with a concertina after my blood, and I’ve got to keep hopping from thread to thread to keep away from it, lest it attempts to breathe fumes on me….

Try the English Folk Dance and Song Society, Cecil Sharp House, London. EFDSS.
Ric