Clip of session at Islesburgh Community Centre, Shetland Folk Festival 2007

Clip of session at Islesburgh Community Centre, Shetland Folk Festival 2007

Hiya folks,

Stumbled across this clip taken a few weeks ago at the Folk Festival. After I finished seething at missing out on all the fun for the second year in a row, I thought I’d share it with you all here. The tunes are "Fox Hunter’s Reel" and "The Rizla" by Charlie McKerron, one of my absolute favourite tunes. It’s hard to pick out all the musicians’ faces, but a few are:

Ross Couper (Bodega), the short ginger fiddler standing up.
Grant Nicol, the guitarist sitting near him. Noticed him from the usual whoops and shouts of "C’mon boys!"
Stuart Grains, fiddler with the red and black top.
Mark Laurenson, fiddler with longish hair sitting on the table.
Steffan Sogard Sorensen (Danish group "Zar") with the double bass - he just hits the body here but he’s one of the best bassists I’ve ever seen, amazing touch.
Catriona McKay (Fiddlers’ Bid) at the back with the clarsach.

I think the fiddler next to the set leader’s Maggie Adamson but can’t tell for sure. Ross, Mark, Grant and I formed a temporary outfit when we all sailed on the Tall Ships’ Race 2004, plenty of memories (and Euros) left over from those few weeks! A stage had been set up for visiting acts and we went up and played one evening. The German announcer was asking for the name of our band, and we were trying to say that we weren’t a band, we’d never played all together before etc, but he didn’t get it so someone (I think it was Grant) leaned over to the mic and called out "Spret Tae B*ggery" which is dialect for "hell for leather". Best inside-joke ever, there was a warehouse full of nonplussed Germans and fifteen Shetlanders at the back in drunken hysterics. So the four of us have been "Spret Tae B*ggery" ever since!

Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMAo8xiSbVI&mode=related&search=

Peace, S

Posted by .

Re: Clip of session at Islesburgh Community Centre, Shetland Folk Festival 2007

Here’s another one I just found, quality’s not so good, about a minute of Ross ripping through "Laxo Burn". Can just spy Maurice Henderson of "Fiddlers’ Bid" behind him on the stairs - don’t you just love the can of Tennent’s on the drum head?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHD7mBJdb4Q

S

Posted by .

The fiddler sitting down next to Steffan Sorensen on bass is Kevin Henderson from Fiddlers’ Bid, Boys of the Lough and Session A9. I think it was him that started the fantastic session off.

The one who starts off "The Rizla"? Aye, it could be Kevin right enough - I’m guessing you were at the session, ‘cause his face looks like an indistinguishable smudge! Alright for some innit…was it as fired-up as it looks?

Posted by .

Indeed I was there! It was definately as fired up as it looks and more! An amazing festival! Thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has not been before!