Donegal Musicians

Donegal Musicians

I’m looking for a Donegal trad musician/s or trad musicians who will be in Donegal on July 27 who would be willing to assist me in a project/labour of love in Church Hill (10 miles from Letterkenny) on that date. It would involve playing some original compositions in a Catholic church (Glendowan). I don’t know if this is the correct place to make a request like this; if not, maybe someone can direct me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. If you are unable to help, but know of someone who might be able to help, could you please let me/him/her know.

Slan
Mairtin

Re: Donegal Musicians

Assuming you mean your father’s tunes? ~ If so, what exactly are the plans? I can’t be there, but a bit more background may help realize your wish?

frozenstiff ~ "Mairtin O Ruadhain aka Martin Ruane, living (trying to survive) in Saskatoon, Canada, hometown Castlebar, Co. Mayo. ~ my father Martin Ruane, 1894 to 1986, a fine fiddler and composer of reels. ~"

There’s a bio of his father to be found in Maritin/frozenstiff’s ‘details’:

https://thesession.org/members/8977

Yes.
I was aware that I was not giving much detail and I was reluctant to share any more as the subject is still very painful for me to think about or write about. But here it is briefly.

I/We lost our daughter, Deirdre, recently in Edmonton, Alberta. Since members of our family from Ireland/England were unable to attend, we opted for cremation, and we are bringing Deirdre’s ashes home for burial (July 27). Deirdre’s mother and grandmother came from Church Hill (Winnie and Fanny Kennedy, if anyone from that area is reading this).

The music is not my father’s although he did compose many reels (two of his reels posted here). I started composing myself a few years ago and I have about 30 or so reels, jigs, polkas mainly. Since Deirdre died, I have composed a number of slow pieces that I think might be suitable for playing at Mass in Glendowan Chapel and afterwards in Templedouglas Cemetery.

Since I am only a novice fiddler myself (learning by myself in my 60s), I need all the help I can get. So, I welcome any suggestions or offers.

Thanks again.

Slan

Mairtin

My thanks to BJcomm96 for sending me the names and contact details for two Letterkenny fiddlers, Seamus Gibson and Martin McGinley. Thanks, ceolachan, for referencing the bio page.

Slan
Mairtin

Mairtin,

I was very pained indeed to read your thread here and cannot imagine what you must be going through right now. I have nought to offer you but my sincere condolences and suggest that you might like to write directly to The Donegal News [www.donegalnews.com]. There are some good people there and may be able to assist if the names you were given, for whatever reason, don’t work out.

Kind regards,
Uncle Nobby’s Steamboat

G’day Martin,
A bit strange you might say, that I should be in contact from Hervey Bay where I live in Australia. If you are in Church Hill, sometimes written Churchill on the maps, then you are just around the corner from Buncrana. I used to play in an odd session in and around Buncrana, Carndonagh, Culdaff, Malin Town, Clonmany etc. and more often than not Dinny McLaughlin would be there or drop in from time to time. He’s an exceptionally good fiddler, as anyone on this site who knows him will verify. He lives in Shandrum, just outside Buncrana or there abouts and is widly known by the people in the area. He’d be heading up towards his early 70’s now, but I am sure he would be keen as mustard to help you in your quest. He’s been off the booze now for quite a few years, so be prepared for endless cups of tea around the kitchen table. I think he’s your best bet and would be sincere in helping you. If you want to email him his address is :-
info@dinnymclaughlin.ie
or you can write to him at :-
Dinny McLaughlin, Shandrum, Clonmany, Co. Donegal, Ireland.
OK Martin, good luck and if you would like to let me know how you got on with the ‘boul Dinny, you can email me at :-
aapfriel@bigpond.net.au
Is mise le meas
Tony Friel.

Posted by .

Sorry Mairtin
I misspelt your name.

Tony Friel

Posted by .

Thanks UNS for the condolences and the suggestion. I’m afraid posting something on this site is about as brave as I get.

Hi Tony, how are things down under? I spent a few years in Adelaide myself in the distant past. Thanks for your suggestion and I think it’s worth checking out. However, I would not have put Buncrana just around the corner from Church Hill/Churchill, but maybe from where you are it is. Maybe between the names BJcomm96 gave me and Dinny and a query I sent to the Comhaltas branch in Letterkenny, I will find someone. I will email Dinny and see what he says. It can’t hurt.

I don’t know if you saw the other thread I have on here: Tony Griffin. A few days back, I posted a jig I composed for him, Tony’s Trek. Although we only met very briefly (over 2 days in his 7000 km cycle) he says he will travel from Clare to C’hill for the funeral which surprised/shocked and impressed me. Maybe I should tell him to stick a few Clare musicians in his pocket and bring them with him. He doesn’t play himself, but he knows the Custys and the Shannons. If you are interested in knowing who Tony Griffin is and what he is doing, check out his website: http://tonygriffinfoundation.com

I answer to Martin or Mairtin (or Marty in Castlebar).

Slan go foill,
Mairtin

Marty, I’ve put a wee word out on your behalf and have news back. There are musicians in Donegal and Derry wanting a word with you. May I pass on your email address, please?

You can contact me via private message if you wish.

Cheers,
Steamer

Yes, I did send you an email, Steamer
Slan
Mairtin

Great. Everyone’s extreeeemly happy and chipping in, which is typical of course, of this site. Right Mairtin, I have sent you Dinny’s Phone No., however I don’t know just how much he guards his privacy this weather. When I knew him, he would talk the leg of a stool, particularly if it related to traditional Irish music, no matter how remote. I would appreciate the outcome of your enquiries - at your discretion of course.

Slan anois
Tony Friel, Hervey Bay.

Posted by .

Thanks for that phone number, Tony. I will try contacting Dinny tomorrow. Thanks also for your email, Steamer. I will reply.

Slan go foill,
Mairtin