Who likes Paul Brady & Andy Irving?

Who likes Paul Brady & Andy Irving?

they’re cool!

Re: Who likes Paul Brady & Andy Irving?

I love them separately and together - their album together in between Planxty periods is a classic that many of us cherish. Saw Andy Irvine do a small gig here near Skerries for about 100 people last year and he’s due back in June at the Seamus Ennis Centre in The Naul (North County Dublin). Kevin.

Me.

ME! ME!!

Posted by .

Nope
Theyre’ crap !

Andy Irvine on the other hand and Paul Brady are excellent.
Especially in THAT great record from the late 70’s

Pat

Not so familiar with Andy Irving except for the joint 70s album, but I’ve been a big fan of Paul Brady since I say him in the docco "Bringing it all Back Home" in the late 80s and a rendition of "Nothing but the Same Old Story". There are a couple of excellent vids of him on youtube - in particular a recent version of "Mary and the Soldier". I didn’t realize till recently that he starte3d out much more trad, so I have no problem or expectations about what he should be doing now, as I’ve seen some others express.

P.S. - Please spell his name properly - as Pat Higgins points out above, it’s Irvine. And I was lucky enough to hear the 2 of them together as part of "Planxty" on 3 occasions in Scotland. Unfortunately, I don’t think they ever recorded as a band with that line-up, but there is one track somewhere on "Youtube", I think which was discussed recently.

Posted by .

like them both, seen andy a few weeks ago in belfast, great gig, good sense of humour and very approachable.

can’t say i’ve listen to much of paul brady’s contemporary stuff though.

Who likes ice cream? I Like Ice Cream!!!!!!!!

Posted by .

Huge fans. Especially Andy Irvine!

Ice cream on hot days only……What was the question again??

If you haven’t already found it, check out the Liberty Tapes CD that was recently issued, containing an old Paul Brady concert—magical!!!

Re: Who likes Paul Brady & Andy Irvine?

It’s a partnership I certainly would’ve liked to see (hear) continue beyond just the one album. Reckon it was one of those windows of opportunity that proved to be rare and elusive for Paul and Andy, given their individual workloads and outlooks.
Whether you like the album or not, it’s hard to dispute it as one of the most influential to come out of the late 20th-century UK/Irish folk revival. Obviously, it spawned any number of would-be Bradys in terms of guitar style and technique, but more importantly, just about every track on the album became part of the repertoire for Irish pub sessions and song swaps everywhere.

Posted by .

yes,that album they did is class-esp their version of arthur mcbride

That late 70s record of those two that’s been referred to above was indeed a landmark. "Bonnie Woodhall" was one of those tracks that show Andy Irvine to be, IMO, a matchless singer of sad songs.

So many of us like that 1976 classic album - this ‘anorak’ has it on 12" LP but hasn’t played it on the radio in a long time. Two of the greats, maybe they should get together again and make another

I hadn’t realised it was as early as 1976!

Their work as a duo, and in the Planxty line-up featuring the two of them was some of the best music that I ever heard. Sadly, Paul Brady rarely plays in his folk style anymore, with the odd exception, although Andy hasn’t deviated too far from this style. Check them out on YouTube, also check out Andy Irvine & Mick Hanly, savage stuff!

The CD the two of them put out in 70s was always a part of my childhood, ya know? And it was one of the albums that made me want to pick up ITM myself. So yeah, Paul Brady and Andy Irvine are deadly!!! Together and apart.