Need Beginner Advise on Anglo Concertina

Need Beginner Advise on Anglo Concertina

My dear wife has lately gotten interested in learning to play. I would welcome any useful information on how to find and choose a decent beginner’s instrument (needs to be able to play in G and D etc, so I guess we want a three-row?).
How much in US dollars should we expect to shell out for such an instrument? What brands are good?
We live in Denver CO USA.
Thanks very much in advance.

Posted by .

Re: Need Beginner Advise on Anglo Concertina

I’m a great fan of Bob Tedrow’s instruments for a new player (and even more experienced). Plus he’s a very nice guy to work with.

Murph,

If you have the patience to read it all, there are a ton of opinions (including mine and Mr. Eskin’s) in two places on concertina.net. At

http://www.concertina.net/guide.html

is some older writeups on various brands. More current info on prices and newer makers is on the forums.

http://www.concertina.net/forums/

Be prepared for sticker shock; you can learn on an inexpensive (e.g. USD 300) instrument, but to manage at typical session/dance tempos you are looking at a enough money to buy a very decent guitar/flute/fiddle/etc. (easily USD1500). I think only pipes are more money to get started on, but I didn’t find out until too late. When a punter in a bar tells me my conc. is cute, is it easy to get one? I suggest they look at button accordion first - cheaper, easier to get, more teachers, etc. That said, concertina is a fun madness, like all the instruments here (several are on my to-learn list!)

There are some C.net members in Denver (including one who plays both anglo and English systems) who can probably tell you/show you more in person.

Ken

Posted by .

Thanks everyone for the info- would you say we should stay away from the Hohner 2 rows- they’re pretty inexpensive, but she wants something she can get started on.

Posted by .

Not forgetting the rule Caveat Emptor ( let the buyer beware ) you do also get a fair variety on Ebay. Remember also that if there’s no indication of restoring having been performed, you will have an extra bill, maybe $600 or so, to get it to good playable quality.
A good indication of a good instrument is metal ends, and/or metal or glass buttons, steel reeds. Remember that Lachenal made economy instruments, as well as top-range ones which are well worth the money.
Cocoa111 seems to be a reliable seller of quality gear.
Avoid the Hohner and other non-British makes if possible.

I just got a box of the Rochelle Anglo concertinas in the shop, They have the most bang for the buck and are priced around $300.

I do take them back in trade when you are ready for a nicer concertina.

Bob Tedrow
Tedrow Concertinas
Homewood Music
http://hmi.homewood.net

Allegedly, you only get what you pay for with a hohner (if you are lucky)

G. Pete, Hohner isNOT an English made conc. ( either as a Anglo or a English ). It’s Italian made by Stagi. A Bboorinwood W15MSc is a very much better "box " & with mahogany ends Distributed by G.M.W. ( boorinwoodmusic.com ) & only £220 or less, in a " flight " case, & if export (out of EEC ) then cheaper again. The construction seems to be VERY similar to Stagi & only 1/2 the price. The thick mahogany ends appears to help stop the sticking button ( from pressing the buttons sideways )
" You get what you pay for ", so if 1 dealers gives you X% discount & another charges 5% extra for the SAME model ( even if the name is diff ), is your argument still correct ?

i have a hohner D40 and though you may not get the best quality, it does the job and has a very nice tone, plus it’ll only put you back about 150$

look it up at www.musiciansfriend.com