Anyone been to Shetland?

Anyone been to Shetland?

Okay, this year, it really is going to happen, nothing is going to distract me, Shetland for the Fiddle Frenzy. Before I book lodgings, I just wanted to know if anyone has been and can recommend any friendly, inept-fiddler-tolerant place to stay for the week. Any other remarks would be a bonus, too.

And the West Coast Norwegian guest artistes promise to be even more than I might have bargained for. Signed up for BOTH workshops.

Cheers

Re: Anyone been to Shetland?

In the 80s I visited with an archaeological group. Most of us stayed in new holiday chalets in two locations - the rent was expensive. The proprietors were decidedly miffed by our dirtiness - archaeologists always get told off for that; clean drunken fiddlers might be more acceptable, on the other hand they may keep other chalet-stayers awake, who might complain and arouse the proprietor’s wrath for that.

All told I saw very few conventional hotels in Shetland.There was a big new one in Lerwick, but again I imagine it would be expensive. Pubs too were very few; don’t know about ordinary B&B’s.

Of course much has probably changed since the 1880s and Shetland probably has more accomodation for visitors now! 🙂

I am sure if you ask the organisers they will point you in the right direction.

I’m sure indeed a lot has changed since the 1880s - I was there in the 1980s!

I was there in 2001. I was there to hike around and to see the archeological sites, but I did get to a good session in a very nice pub in Lerwick. Can’t say the name of it right now. Stayed in B&B’s, which were very nice and the price seemed reasonable. I also think the organizers can help you find what you’re looking for.

Now Nicholas - no sense of humour today? 🙁

All the changes, of course, were probably in the oil boom…

Well, maybe I should have framed the question better. The organisers are in fact very helpful and have directed me to site listing lots of accommodation in Shetland. What I wanted to know was if anyone who had been there for the Frenzy in previous years might know of a particularly recommendable place for the frenzied to stay , before just going ahead and booking on the basis of the photos and info given on the net. But thanks anyway, folks. As usual, a discussion posted here can be counted upon to be both informative and good for a larf.

Cheers

I take it the venues are going to be all over the island group, though I imagine Lerwick the capital will have the biggest dos. Also, that people are taken (presumably bussed) on trips out, presumably from Lerwick.

If you end up staying outside Lerwick, they might arrange pick-ups for you. But failing those, routine bus and ferry services are (or should be) good. Shetland Islands Council got a lot of funding from the oil companies for infrastructure and communications. There are taxis and car hire opportunities also.

Shetland is a lot bigger than a lot of visitors expect - the main island group is not far short of seventy miles long from north to south.

The main (possibly only) session pub in Lerwick is The Lounge. I was in Shetland for about a week in 1997, and I didn’t hear of any regular sessions elewhere. But, no doubt, when there’s a special event on, like the Fiddlers’ Frenzy, the burns will be bursting their banks with music - although most of the musicians would probably be visitors. It seems like the sort of place where you’d need to stay for at least a few months to discover where where the music really lives.

If you’ve got a bike or a car, and you’ve overdosed on music, I recommend exploring some the small Islands along the west coast on Shetland (some of which are linked to the mainland by causeways). Just be aware that you will be intruding on avian territory - a good hat is strongly recommended, as those terns skuas can be vicious.

If you intend to go for long walks into the moorland or wilderness, I’d advise you to take a suitable map: it’s surprisingly easy to lose your way in some places, for all that they are not on the scale of, say, the Scottish Highlands.

There’s another session in the Douglas Arms (the old Marlix) on Tuesday nights, kicking off around 8.30-9ish. Tunes can also be found in Da Noost - I think - but I’ve never been along myself. Wednesday night’s tune night at the Lounge.

Posted by .