Steve Kaufman’s 4-Hour Celtic Workout

Re: Steve Kaufman’s 4-Hour Celtic Workout

I’m not sure what Mr.kaufman’s pedigree is, or what he knows about Irish music, but anybody who refers to the music we play as"Celtic" music usually is better ignored. Judging by the sample provided on your link, I’m afraid my fears are confirmed.

The audio sample has little or nothing in common with Banish Misfortune, the tune it purports to play, unless it is some quite peculiar variation I’ve never heard before. It makes sense to me neither as melody nor as harmony for the tune I know by that name.

His list of tunes taught or played in his tutor looks kosher, but going on the audio sample you might be better off buying someone else’s product.

Steve’s a good teacher, and a heckuva flatpicker, but his background is more in bluegrass, swing, etc., than Irish or "Celtic" trad.

Posted .

hehe.. I think I avoid this then.. thanks for the advices! :)

Steve Kaufman is a brilliant mandolin player (and well-known on various other instruments) and is well-respected in Irish and Scottish music circles, whatever you think of his style. More importantly, I understand that he is also a good teacher. I know he’s played in Scotland several times, don’t know about Ireland, but I suspect there too.

I imagine the instruction CDs are called "Celtic" as a marketing category, as well as indicating that the tunes are from several sources, not just Irish

Posted by .

"And is it worth buying?"

Lots of ppl like it. Get it and sell if if you don’t like it. I really wouldn’t ask anything from here to make decisions upon; you end up being a narrow-minded missguided fool if you always ask for ppls opinions what you can or should do.

Posted by .

"you end up being a narrow-minded missguided fool if you always ask for ppls opinions"
Sound advice there risto!

Sure. Why not listen to the clip on the Homespun link. If you like what you hear, give the tutorial a try. If not, then maybe pass on it. The decision is yours.

But it doesn’t hurt to know that he’s more into American music than pure drop Irish.

He just gave a workshop here in MT, at the Weber mandolin shop (just 80 miles down the road from me). He plays Webers, so they host him every now and then. Well attended, and most participants seem to feel they got their money’s worth.

Besides, you can learn a lot about technique and mental approaches to music from people who play other genres.

The only problem with risto’s advice above is that he’s telling drunkenviking what he should do ("get it and sell it if you don’t like it"), while saying he’ll be a narrow-minded misguided fool if he listens to such advice.

Posted .

I bought a copy of this some time back, and can’t say as I found it to be worth the money. I’m not knocking Steve-he’s a nice guy and a good teacher, but it’s hard for him to escape his bluegrass background and approach to the material.

If you want a rhythm workout that lets you play along with tunes, go for Frank Kilkelly’s book/cd on accompanying ITM. Most melody instruction is geared toward figerstylists, but there are a few book/cd combos aimed at flatpickers; drop me a not if yhou want the titles and I’ll dust off the bookshelves.

Jeff W

Super Cally Go Ballistic, Celtic Are Atrocious

Celtic had a good workout against Inverness Caledonian recently.
http://sport.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=829&id=1716532006 Just as well. They still suffer the stigma of the best headline ever (in The Sun, I believe):
SUPER CALLY GO BALLISTIC, CELTIC ARE ATROCIOUS
After the ‘Tic got a drubbing from Cally in the Scottish Cup several years ago

That’s what we’re talking about, yeah?

Cos there’s no suich thing as Celtic music, unless you mean the songs they sing at Parkhead.

I dont know…going to sessions and finding out the names of unfamiliar tunes helps

Posted by .

"> The only problem with risto’s advice above is that he’s telling drunkenviking what he should do ("get it and sell it if you don’t like it"), while saying he’ll be a narrow-minded misguided fool if he listens to such advice"

My advice was obviously intended against those who say "don’t buy it". If he does’t get it he will never know, if he gets it and sells it he will loose a few pounds but then he knows.

Homespun DVDs contain lots of good ideas which you can use in your own playing and music making, It don’t have to be directly related to your genre of interest. I have ordered quite a many Homespun DVDs and then sold them. My latest purchases were the Old Time guitar by Norman Blake and 121 Irish session tunes by McCullough. The Blake I have already sold, for the session tunes I probably won’t find a buyer because there aren’t enough interested folks in this land. My next purchases will be some jazz guitar DVDs and a couple of B/C accordion DVDs (not from Homespun). This way you can see interesting stuff without loosing too much money.

PS. I can confirm that the Frank Kilkelly book is useful, though I couldn’t listen to the fiddle which is a good example of awful fiddling, maybe that was the point:-) . Alan Kelly plays half of the tunes with piano accordion and he is good.

Posted by .

re the original question

the reel and hornpipe tracks may be useful to play along with. The jigs are odd.

Posted by .